roll crimper

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by magnumyammerhammer, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Trevi

Trevi Senior Refuge Member

Just try the GAEP jig. Seriously, you spend more time and money trying to make that vice than it is worth. Learn from my mistakes LOL.

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

They aren't for everyone but those who seek perfection in their loads and doing it with less powder , is what I experienced !
    The consistent velocity I get makes me a better shooter with a Standard Deviation of less than 20 fps , it also helps in pattern density also !
    Just saying the facts , I also use a N2 for my Long Yardage loads for Custers and Annies , dang sure paid for themselves !

3. oskar

oskar Senior Refuge Member

On another board a fellow was using his MEC Super Sizer to hold shells for roll crimping.

I made a shell holder from some plastic and hardware store springs for my drill press vice.

[​IMG]

I do like the wood nut cracker looking one, simple and inexpensive to make and effective, you could even make it with a couple different gauge holes.

Roll crimped shortened Rio target hulls for waterfowl 7/8 oz ITX 6's HCD-21 wad.
    [​IMG]

I use free range pick-up hulls for my waterfowl roll crimped shells and don't bother trying to reload them, Straightening out the crimps enough to reload them is more of a pain than having to cut new ones.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  4. oskar

oskar Senior Refuge Member

Simple shell cutter, a piece of copper pipe cut to length, fits 12ga shells perfect, if fired in a loose chamber they might have to be sized first. I sit and watch TV and cut a bunch way faster than the "Trim Doctor" and doesn't need to be
    adjusted for base height.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Nice really Nice , I use a piece of sch 40 1/2" plastic to gage the OAL of 28 ga hulls . Those dang Cheddites come in all different lengths !

6. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

I like to roll crimp bc if I do have different length hulls, or different stack heights, I can roll each down nice and tight.

not saying I have sloppy reloading habits, but when developing loads, stack heights between payloads (steel t - steel #6, or buckshot stacks) might vary enough that normal fold crimps wouldn’t work out the same.

So, I roll crimp some test loads until I get something interesting enough to then mass produce on a progressive press.

An example. I loaded up some odd shaped buckshot for nutria and hog loads. I was looking for a short range, big pattern, big shot load to use from a boat. It was a fail. Pattern too inconsistent. Weak load all around. I am glad that I didn’t trouble myself with tweaking my progressive loader to make this fail.

I like to roll my own. Folding crimps are way faster to make.

Dr Swane and magnumyammerhammer like this.
  7. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

I think bpi has them. I'm planning on ordering one.

8. magnumyammerhammer

9. magnumyammerhammer

I got a piece I found out my barn. I cut it to 2 1/2 inches and it fits a 12 gauge shell perfectly. I believe its three-quarter inch.

10. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Senior Refuge Member

How
    How do you like that ITX 10 in 6’s? I want to pick some up. I’m guessing it patterns tighter than bismuth 5’s? I like shooting ITX10 4’s in the 28 gauge.