Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Rosetta Stone?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Hawk, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

I may be going to Europe on a trip in a little over a year. I'd like to have a little language speaking ability if I were to go. I've always been curious about Rosetta Stone? I'm assuming it is legit, but kind of spendy. Is it worth the money for those who have used it? Would anyone be willing to sell or rent a used edition you may have laying around?

I personally would be looking for French, Italian, or German, but would be open for any European dialect.

Anyways, any opinions on it?

2. marcbme

marcbme Senior Refuge Member

PM sent

3. Rick618

Rick618 Elite Refuge Member

Check your local library, ours has a huge section of foreign language programs that you can check out. College library should have them too.

4. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

hawk, don't waste your money going over there to get one. we have a rosebud, ark and you can pick one up there cheap.

old

5. ButtonBuck

ButtonBuck Elite Refuge Member

Its probably a waste of money just for one trip. Practically everyone over there knows English as a second language at least enough for you to get around comfortably. They kind of have to anymore with so many languages in a small geographic area.

We spent a week in Italy for our honeymoon in August and outside of learning the basics for hello, thank you, good bye, etc. we didn't have one bit of a problem anywhere we went. Even in some of the pubs where people were around from all over.

No harm in furthering your education though, it may help in reading some of the menus and that's one of the most important things:tu

6. straightsixes

straightsixes Elite Refuge Member

Go to the library and see if you can check one out. They work well but are expensive. Another thing you can do which is cheaper is to do the Rosetta online version.

For me going to Europe (even for work) is still an experience that you will never forget. With that being said I've gone to France twice for work, with two different outlooks. The first time I just spoke English and didn't try to learn a single word until I arrived in country. Yeah, I worked my way through it but really didn't get much out of the trip...

The second time I did the Rosetta stone thing and no I was not fluent, but I could definitely read most of the signs, talk basic French to get whatever I wanted (or at least work my way through it) and you won't believe how many people suddenly know more English when you try to speak a little of their language (Germany and Portugal too for me). Its just a sign of respect and the next thing you know you are getting what you need and are moving along.

The travelling experience was MANY times better after learning the language basics and allowed me to drive/interact in many different regions.

By the way take a pocket dictionary with a map etc, but don't plan on that being your only source of language skills. The conversations are way to quick to try and read it/speak it while trying to converse.

Another way to look at this: without knowing the language you are basically an outside observer (similar to watching a fishtank), when you know just a bit of the language you actually get into the tank/game etc. Even if the people you talk to are complete jerks (highly unlikely) you'll be getting more out of the trip than just watching from the outside. Don't get me wrong I think its great for the little old ladies to pile in buses and get toured around the countryside, but I would bet they would learn a TON more if they had to converse with the shopkeepers for a loaf of bread etc every now and then too.

Have fun wherever you go and be safe. Oh yeah, you will see how fat, loud and annoying many Americans are when you go to major European destinations. Just sit back and watch... you'll see what I'm talking about.

7. GreenheadGuy26

GreenheadGuy26 Elite Refuge Member

"They say its the fastest way to learn a language..."

Just ask Michael Phelps, he's a smart guy...

8. fatlab

fatlab Elite Refuge Member

if you can hear them above the racket the germans will be making.

9. MI_Craig

MI_Craig Elite Refuge Member

I used the online version of Rosetta (when it used to be less expensive and billed by the month) and it worked much better than any of the other programs I bought. I could hold my own in a conversation in Italy after 4 months and it came in very handy when my wife got sick there. Just like anything else in life though, you have to dedicate some time to get good at it.

10. Stubbs

Stubbs Senior Refuge Member

Rosetta Stone is a good thing, It all depends where you intend on going Cities or country side. Most europeans know english but like I said it all depends on where you end up going. If you want Rosetta go try your library, its free to check out. Dont buy if you intend on just going one time.
    Stubbs