Rotisserie cookin'

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by tcc, Feb 25, 2020.

1. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Rigged up a little rotisserie on the Nuke grill. Needs some tweaking but I think I'll have fun with it; never used a rotisserie before.

Any tips from the experts? 20200225_192713.jpg

2. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

I can't offer anything tip wise but rotisserie chicken and young turkeys are amazing brined in a simple salt and sugar bring for a day or two and cook them up.
    Damn, I freaking love the stuff.
    Ill be watching this thread.

seiowa likes this.
  3. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

I've had a showtime rotisserie for many many years.

Cornish game hens are what I do and they are great.

I brine them, take them out of their package, put them in a gallon ziplock, water to cover bird, salt, ziplock the bag shut, put it in the fridge. I've let that go for as long as a week.

I've done a root beer brine as well, it was as simple as a can of root beer, then fill with water until bird is covered, ziplock the ziplock bag and put in fridge. This turned out exceptionally well.

Take them out, you can let them sit in a bowl of cold clean water if you wish, then let them dry, I push butter up under the skin over the breast, then I do an Italian seasoning blend over the whole bird and cook. Simple

Just a note, when you brine, if after a day or two or three... whatever, the water is red and you wish to dump it out and replace it, watch how much salt, if any, you put in that second time, that's where things can go bad in the blink of an eye, that can make things salty quick. Haven't had issues with birds being salty from initial brine, I've used table salt, curing salt, all kinds of different salt, can't say I've ever noticed a difference.

callinfowl likes this.
  4. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

Make sure the thumb screws on the spit fork bushings are very tight. If the screws become loose during cooking, the rod will continue to turn, while the chicken will remain motionless over the same spot on the grill. Result = skeleton wrapped in electrical tape on one side, cool to the touch on the opposite side. Or so I've heard....:doh

callinfowl and tcc like this.
  5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I may have to try the rootbeer brine; I've heard of such but never tried it. I'm pretty well acquainted with brining in general, do that all the time and it does work well. Only did this one for like 45m because it was a last minute deal and I just wanted to play with the grill. Still turned out pretty good.

I've got several things I wanna try once I get the fire control figured out a bit--pork loin, beef tenderloin, rib rack, etc. Those Cornish hens sound good too.

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Lol, the tail end one came loose a bit at the very end and it started flopping around a bit; luckily it was pretty much done at that point.

7. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

I have worn out 1 showtime rotisserie oven and am almost at the point of having worn out a second. Awesome for birds, excellent for roasts.

A few things - for roasts always bring to room temp before roasting - if not the center will still be cold when the outside is charred. For birds, as others have said, a good brine is a necessity. Experiment with spice mixes, and at some point try stuffing the cavity with some fresh spices from the garden if you have them. Also, learn to tie if you only have a 2 point spit - wings and legs can get loose and either hang up and stop the rotations or can become extra well done when they get closer to the heat source.

8. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member

A couple of years ago, I found a rotisserie set-up in my father-in-laws garage. I made a couple brackets and rigged it to my Weber BBQ. Best chicken I ever ate. You have to cook it real slow, have a drip pan under it...or have the fire department standing by. And...a six pack of your favorite beer while you are cooking it helps a lot.

callinfowl likes this.
  9. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

yes indeed on them turkeys!! Here in the fall we are allowed to shoot hens and man a little hen is delicious with the rotisserie. In spring a little Jake ain’t bad either but man, hard to beat a <1 yr old fall hen cooked that way!

10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Round 2. This pork loin turned out fantastic; the crust was phenomenal. 20200301_112506.jpg

Rice Hunter likes this.