Ruger Red Label

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by wescott2, Jan 3, 2020.

1. wescott2

wescott2 Senior Refuge Member

Just picked this pre owned up not too long ago but didn't notice this gap. Anyone else with a Red Label have this? Gun functions perfectly.

Attached Files:

2. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

But you still need have it rebuild.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Wood has absorbed moisture and is swelling. Had it happen with one of my Baikals. Do not shoot it. Without good contact all the way around, wood to metal, the wood gets stressed on firing, and the stock will crack.

I would contact Ruger and see what they say about it. IMO, the stock was not sealed properly, allowing water to soak in. Not unexpected in a Baikal, but a Ruger should hold up better.

4. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Good luck w/Ruger CS on that gun. My hunting buddy had an original RL (and it was nice one), had a problem w/the safety, I told him to look for a Gunsmith, but Nooooo he sent it back to Ruger. Well they sent him a new POS Model because his gun was too old (no parts is what they told him)! And NOW he's having problems w/it! IMO someone at Ruger now has a nice Original Mdl Red Label, this was after Bill Ruger's passing!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  5. meat hunter

meat hunter Refuge Member

I have one, old model. Has never once let me down.
    Never used for fowl, dove, pheasants etc.
    Would buy another old model in a heartbeat.

OneShotBandit and Soggy Socks like this.
  6. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks Senior Refuge Member

I have a 3, 12,20 and 28. None have that gap. Call Ruger see what they say I bought my son one for his high school graditation. Looked like the stock was made of plywood. He had an issue with it so I drove it over to Ruger got it back in a week with high grade wood on it too. They were good guns albeit a little heavy. The 28 is still my go to woodcock grouse gun

7. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

I duck hunted with one for a few years in the 90s. I never saw that problem....

8. wescott2

wescott2 Senior Refuge Member

I just sent an email to Ruger but I'm not very optimistic since the website says that parts and service for models beginning with my serial number aren't available. We'll see what their response is.

9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Sounds crazy but.........
    How about taking the gun and a de-humidifier and put them into a small room, like a half bathroom ( cover the toilet opening with Suran wrap) or a small bed room, and let it unswell back to normal. Then remove the stock and reseal the area where the wood is hidden behind the receiver.

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

It's a good idea, but I doubt it will work. When it happened to the Baikal, it was in the basement (and this area is fairly dry). After that, I moved it to the upstairs safe, which is full of dessecant pouches. Keeps the guns nice and dry. No movement back. That was about a year, since I had another Baikal to replace it.

Wood swelling, and shrinking, with moisture is fine, if there is nothing for it to swell against (like in a wood stack or pile). I 'think' when it moves against a solid object, (the receiver) it isn't going to come back.

Just my thoughts. You could be right.