Rust repair

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Timber Hole, Mar 6, 2021.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

This seems like a lot of work. Is a replacement cab from a junk yard easier and cheaper? BTW, congrats on getting the most out of that thing!

2. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Elite Refuge Member

I think welding the rockers and corners would be less work but while I have pulled a cab for engine replacement I have never swapped one. I think I will do some structural work on the rear wheel wells, cold galvanize and then add flares. I don’t really like the flares but skipping the body work and paint will save time and money. I have the engine running good again. I pulled and reinstalled the transmission to fix a rear main leak. None of it is a big deal once you make up your mind you are going to do it.

stevena198301 likes this.
  3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I’ve never done body work and I doubt I would be happy with my results. My terrible welding skills don’t help. Good luck!

4. kdog

kdog Elite Refuge Member

Used replacement cabs will be rusted as much as ,what you have ,,,,,,,,a new cab would be as much as a new truck

5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I have a '98 Ford Explorer w/101,000 miles on it. but the back door at the bottom is rusting out. The Body shop said that they would have to cut & reweld the new pieces all for $2000 per side. And NO BONDO!!!!

6. Timber Hole

On newer model trucks they replace the entire door skin. Often times they are glued on with panel bond. A deer ran into the side of my 2017 and the dealership replaced 2 door skins.

On your truck I would look for a good door from the salvage yard. Probably much cheaper if you can find a good one.

Sam Ortmann and OneShotBandit like this.
  7. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Down south of Effingham Illinois on I57 there's a place that sells these type things.
    If I re-do my truck it's getting a utility bed.
    There's a Truck I see a lot that has one and it's slick.

Screenshot_20210409-130343_Chrome.jpg

8. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

I have the 210 and with .030 and gas it it will burn through, .023 and gas should work though.

9. Timber Hole

Even if I can get the .035 to work I’m sure the .023 will be much more controllable. I need to buy the drive rollers, liner and tip for the .023. Right now I’m just working on getting the mechanical issues addressed. So far a rear main seal, crank sensor, starter and throttle body. Most of the parts in the truck were bought with a lifetime warranty so the throttle body and water pump will be no charge.

10. kdog

kdog Elite Refuge Member

Dont put oil on the rear main seal ....it will leak
    Replace the gasket on the rear seal housing ....they leak too