Sac Rice story

1911king

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Maybe if they saved some of those highest rice profit in the past ??? years money they could have bought some well water? Or wait for a bailout?

CalBaer

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
"Some mallards, somewhere" - great quote.
Not sure about thefarmers North winds comment. Would need to go back and see what weather station historicial data says.

Wood-Dro

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
"Some mallards, somewhere" - great quote.
Not sure about thefarmers North winds comment. Would need to go back and see what weather station historicial data says.
Gramps frequently spoke about the north winds in that part of the valley for decades. The frequent north winds are NOT a new phenonium.

Sweatliner

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sad. Yet while driving down 101 Salinas, Soledad etc you’d never know there was a drought. Ripping winds in the afternoon and field after field being irrigated about the least efficient way you can. Craziness

mak2782

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Maybe if they saved some of those highest rice profit in the past ??? years money they could have bought some well water? Or wait for a bailout?
they got taxed to the gills on any of it they didnt invest in new equipment. Now that old equipment sits unable to harvest any acreage and the payments still have to be made. Prop tax also. Some dont have insurance either. Sad for the smaller farmers. The conglomerates/corporate farmers will be fine.

1911king

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Agreed it’s a sad situation but not every farmer is in the same boat. I do know of a few that absolutely made a killing these past few years with the price of rice. I also know of a few that made lions share selling water.

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy in a very, very high end club and they are having serous water issues they never thought they would have. They have big wells that can grow some rice/food plots, but not enough to keep the flooded areas water from going "sour'' during Duck season. They are hoping and I expect they will, have some very good Speck shooting.

freefall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have no skin in the rice game. However I do recognize it's importance for the birds. Driving from Sac to Anderson this weekend blew my mind. I've never seen that many miles of fallowed fields. It's going to be interesting to see how it effects the migration and hunting. Certainly seems like a feast or famine year in the making.

Latest posts