Salami

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by Love-to-hunt, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Extex

Extex Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]

I make my own summer sausage and salami. Just made 90 lbs out of elk, antelope and pork. You can buy the stuff you need individually for smaller batches but I buy the kits and do 15 lbs at a time. I smoke it but you can add liquid smoke and cook in the oven. Its not hard to do once you learn how but it is time consuming - takes about 8 hrs to cook/smoke. Paddler I use pork butts about the cheapest easiest way to get pork in it and you do have to get some pork it it or it will be very dry - I use 6-8 lbs in a 30 lb batch. I made some goose last year and will again this year. You can grind your meat in a food processor but it is slow.

2. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Nice, Scott!! I want to so the same, and make sausages as we use them in spaghetti, etc. I may try suet if I can get some, or Jerry recommends Boston Butts. He should know.

I called Snider's. They want $2.89 for unground pork fat! They sell Boston Butt for $3.29. Sounds pretty pricey to me.

3. wingchaser

wingchaser Senior Refuge Member

Ex,,,,What temp do you smoke it at? That looks damn good! :tu

4. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

Wow! Did they say if it comes with lube? Stay clear of Snider's. They have always been out of line on their prices. Used to pay about a $1 per LB for 50/50 pork trim not sure what it costs now.

Extex that is some fine looking sausage. I might have to dust off the sausage press.

5. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Yep, Jer, that's just crazy. I called Fresh Market today. They're going to save me some fat, but didn't know how much to charge me. Their Boston Butt is $1.79, so the fat will be less than that. We'll see, I'm looking forward trying some different recipes.

6. Extex

Extex Elite Refuge Member

Wingchaser - I start it at 140 degrees and go for 1-2 hrs then turn it up to 180 - 200 and add the wood to smoke it. I dont add it at first cause the moisture on the casings absorbs a lot of bitterness that will smell up your freezer :) If its windy it takes longer but usually about 8 hrs total will get it to an internal temp 150-155. Dont go any hotter or too quicky or it will be crumbly cause all that pork fat will run out which is the binder. These are 3-4 inch casings. Normal sausage casings will take less time - about 4 hrs. I made a lot of my small sausage without nitrate or salt peter in the past but it does not keep as long in the freezer - especially pork will taste "off" after about 4 months. With a food processor its easy to experiment with small batches to get the good flavor that you like. I also use to dry a lot of sausage - sorta like jerky but better :yes I plan to do some after we get to texas this year and recruit some pork.

7. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Not salami, Pete, but the sauteed breast with toppings I mentioned above. It's excellent!! Even my wife, who is very sensitive to gaminess, says it's "very good":

[​IMG]