California Flyway Forum Sponsors

San Luis or Volta

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by AndrewS, Oct 18, 2021.

1. MAKAIRA

MAKAIRA Elite Refuge Member

Most likely will be a .5 average at either place and that will include the coot hunters after opening Wednesday-Stay home

2. Seahawk18

Seahawk18 Senior Refuge Member

Just look at the numbers from last year. On the second Sunday Volta had 18 hunters total for 19 birds. San Luis had 48 for 19 birds for a booming .4 average. It won't be much different this year. Burn 'em both.

Flyfisher likes this.
  3. 5Woodies

5Woodies Elite Refuge Member

San Luis without a doubt. If you know your way around San Luis like I do or better their is know question.

AndrewS likes this.
  4. Canyoncrosser

Canyoncrosser Senior Refuge Member

You literally could go anywhere in the state and get on that day, why even apply for a ressi for days like that?

Refugeguy and Coach_quack like this.
  5. Plumgold1

Plumgold1 Elite Refuge Member

San Luis obviously. Take whatever blind u can get at blue goose and have fun.

AndrewS likes this.
  6. AndrewS

AndrewS Refuge Member

I get it, either lottery or sweat line, just sounds like wasted time, gas or both. Why not get a resi, and get an opportunity for a better choice.

7. AJCsurf

AJCsurf Elite Refuge Member

You’re in the wrong hobby if you are worried about those two things. Oct-Nov is where you use those to figure these places out. Besides, didn’t you say you live in hollister? You could drive home for lunch and back out for an afternoon hunt and that would probably be less than 80% of the driving guys on here do. When the time changes you could probably hunt before work on Wednesdays at Volta

FIFY. Go to the goose, get a blind you haven’t gotten before. Remember your hunt for next season and every season thereafter.

8. AndrewS

AndrewS Refuge Member

You're right, but I'm also a hvac tech going to school two nights a week, with a wife who works full time and two very young daughters, and limited care options. Excuses I know but its just easier when it's on a calendar, know what I mean. But the Wednesdays is definitely gonna be a thing, and I'm definitely thinking blue goose, plus I can take an extra friend to shoot at all 8 ducks lol.

Refugeguy and Brottboss like this.
  9. tule

tule Elite Refuge Member

Burn the resi and hope for the same luck in Dec or Jan. Seriously. You will be disappointed, unless you like watching the early "flight" of spoonies heading for the turd ponds which will stop 30 seconds before shoot time. Take 2 decoys with you, one for you and one for your buddy to pack out there, and plan on hitting Dennys about 7:30 am before the morning rush of grey hairs that are traveling along hwy 5.

WILDDUX likes this.
  10. AndrewS

AndrewS Refuge Member

lol
    I always go into anything with very little expectations so I'm rarely disappointed. There's an old saying right, the worst day of finding beats the best day at work. Can add in or being at home doing house chores. Regardless I really enjoy being out there, and I thrive on the anticipation. There's something magical about being on the water watching every speck of light creep over the mountains, hearing the wings whistling overhead, watching the fog rise off water. You get the idea.

Brottboss likes this.