Sask trip from hell

George

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Wow !!... What a mess. Sorry it happened to you.

Larry Welch

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well that's sounds like a cluster. Hope you get all your belongings back.

bustsducks

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
He’s bat **** crazy. I’m pretty sure a Canadian was the reason for his divorce if you know what I mean. I’ve had nothing but great experiences with Canadians and Canada itself.
That could explain his situation?

I have had great experiences in Canada and Canadians. Stop by their house to ask if its possible to hunt. And they insist on having come in for coffee and try to feed you. We've been sent home with homemade jam, rolls and wine! Nicest people I've ever met.

Mudtoes
So sorry to read about your trip. The anticipation of a great time and hunt ruined has to be the total ****s.

mister gadwall

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
First door I knocked on for permission in the middle of northern Manitoba on first trip there late 1970s—-lady answered the door. I started talking and she said
“STOP.”

I figured I was in deep trouble right off the bat. Before I could say anything else she says “you are from the south in the US aren’t you. “

I said “Yes ma’am I am. “

She said “well I’m from Alabama and married the Canadian fellow who owns this farm and five thousand more acres beside this and you can hunt wherever you want as long as you want, and please bring your friends for dinner tonight!!!! “””

Absolute TRUE.

creedsduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
First door I knocked on for permission in the middle of northern Manitoba on first trip there late 1970s—-lady answered the door. I started talking and she said
“STOP.”

I figured I was in deep trouble right off the bat. Before I could say anything else she says “you are from the south in the US aren’t you. “

I said “Yes ma’am I am. “

She said “well I’m from Alabama and married the Canadian fellow who owns this farm and five thousand more acres beside this and you can hunt wherever you want as long as you want, and please bring your friends for dinner tonight!!!! “””

Absolute TRUE.
About 10 years ago a day or 2 into a 10 day trip we were in the parking lot of the hotel getting stuff together one evening for the next morning. Thanksgiving was Monday. An elderly couple came through the parking lot. They stopped and talked to a couple of the guys and asked our plans for Thanksgiving dinner, we had none. They said we will bring you all (they don't say y'all up there!) dinner. Monday evening rolls around and we are trying to decide if we are gonna try to find somewhere to eat or hope those people actually meant they were gonna feed a bunch of guys they'd never met. Well sure enough here they come pulling up with a complete Thanksgiving dinner for like 8-9 complete strangers.

Empty Skies

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Engine blew north of Winnipeg on way home. 1st person to stop help checked it out & said it dont look good. Weekend & all shops closed so he offered to let me stay with his family while truck was getting worked on. Well my dog & I stayed 4 days. He was a Royal Mounted Canadian Policeman, gave me the keys to his house a car & a list of things to see & do while on my visit. Also his property bordered Oak Hammock Marsh fun,fun,fun. Never, never had any problems with Canadians on my many trips north for hunting. Only problems were with American hunters

swifthunter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’ll keep this discussion up and running with a daily update. Left San Francisco airport yesterday for a trip to Saskatchewan. Get to airport and Air Canada informs me the flight is running late and I won’t make my connection from Calgary to Saskatoon which means no chance to get from Saskatoon to the lodge with a hunting license. (Outfitter tried to tell us license will be our responsibility though when we booked hunt contract says it will be at the Lodge, we have contract and nailed him on this)
So I’m also informed that I must go thru customs in Calgary and that is another reason I won’t make connecting flight. So I’m told retrieve my bag and gun case in baggage. Nothing shows up and I go into office and ask, employee says it is on flight to Saskatoon. ***? I head to Customs officer and inform him I have a problem and he agrees, tells airline employee to have plane return and unload my bags. Custom officer says airline will be fined. Custom officer checks gun and gives me my firearms license, helped that I’m a retired LEO, and he is a great guy. Go back to ticket counter and get ticket for next flight, drop off suitcase and firearm to the oversized check like instructed. Got 3 hours to kill, get something to eat and wait at gate. Check and 20 minutes before flight airline has moved flight to another terminal. Hot foot there and get on flight from Calgary to Saskatoon. Arrive in Saskatoon, get rental car and wait for bags, I’m still standing there and my bag and gun case never come out! Go to Air Canada baggage office, like talking to a wall. So I’m in a hotel room in Saskatoon waiting to see if they can locate my gun and clothes.
Day one of hunting is now lost! To be continued!
its easy to buy all your licenses online. Air Canada and all of the airlines are a nightmare now

Littleboots

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have no ideal how many trips I have made to Canada @35. Have always enjoyed the trips and the people, but after 18 hunting trips, since Saskatoon is no longer a port of entry and we would have to fly Air Canada to finish trip we canceled, The lost luggage and gun is typical of them

Mudtoes

Senior Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Arrived back home about 11:30 last night to SFO. Today starts the phone calls with Air Canada to try to recoup my losses so far in this fiasco. As the plane was leaving Saskatoon I watched a large group of Canada geese coming in to land on the grass adjacent to the runway as we were lifting off. That seemed sort of fitting and I believe I saw most of them had their feet curled into a one finger salute.
Had reports from a member of our group that the hunting was great, limiting on Canada geese one day and they had shot upwards of 80 snows yesterday morning.
Had a lady next to me on the plane who had been visiting friends north of Saskatoon. She said the farmers were surprised by the “white geese” in the area, and how they were eating all the cut crops. She stated that the farmers were saying this was unusual for the area she had been staying. She was from Europe, Austria I believe where she said the hunters and landowners would of shot the geese and they would be sold in the market.
I still have no answers to why a shotgun I checked through Canadian Customs and Border Officers, that I had a Canadian gun permit issued for and was checked in to go from Calgary to Saskatoon was held back with an issue of “no serial number”.
Border and Customs officer in Saskatoon that I spoke with, showed all the papers to informed me that everything was in order. She called Calgary Customs and got that there was no problem and asked what I wanted done with my baggage and firearm. Having no definitive answer from the airline when my meds, clothes and gun would arrive I had to pull the plug and head home.
I had lots of time at the airport yesterday and talked with a lot of Canadians. Great people, from the Budget car lady who refunded all charges, a waitress in a restaurant who refused payment, she had asked why I was in Saskatoon and heard part of the saga. Hollie the baggage tracer stayed on it trying to locate my gear.
One thing I found is that airline ticket agents are about the same everywhere, overworked and with too many issues to deal with. I got the basic cold shoulder in trying to change the flight from Oct 1st to last night, until I gave him the magic phrase, “Medical emergency” due to them having lost my bag with my meds. They don‘t want to deal with that, and I had a new ticket.
To Be Continued: