Saskatchewan questions

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by waterfowlpro, Nov 28, 2008.

1. waterfowlpro

waterfowlpro Senior Refuge Member

I was wondering if it would be better to go in September or october. Which is the better time for ducks, but still getting some goose action.

2. Prairie Pothole

Prairie Pothole Refuge Member

Late September is good for Snows, resident ducks and some honkers. Mid to late October is when the larger flocks of Canada's and big northern ducks start coming down.

Obviously each season is different depending on the weather patterns, but it doesn't vary much more than a week or two +/-.

3. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Elite Refuge Member

We usually go around the second week of October during Thanksgiving in Canada. There are always Snow geese, local ducks, and lesser Canada geese. About half the time the migrating ducks have also arrived and are feeding hard. If you are after migrating mallards and big Canada geese I would suggest that you wait until about the third week of October if you are hunting in the southern half of the Province. It is great no matter when you go, but if you are really into the mallards and big Canada geese go a little later in October, but it is a fine line because some years the small potholes freeze around October 20 and snow can happen at any time. Just my opinion.:tu

4. NEHONKERS

NEHONKERS Senior Refuge Member

The later the better in my opinion. The mallards had good color this year, we went 2nd week of october. Shooting brown ducks is not my thing.

5. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

Don't taste good do they?