Savage 220 ammo

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by buck_master_2001, Oct 28, 2020.

1. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I have a Savage 220 slug that I haven’t used in years. I quit deer hunting. Wellllll, now my daughter wants to go deer hunting this year so I need to buy some ammo and make sure she’s still sighted In.

I used to use Remington accutips as that’s what was recommended for them and the sucker was a tack driver with them. You could put a quarter over a 3 shot group at a 100 yards.

My question is are they still the go to load for that gun or is there something newer and better now days??? I’m wayyyy out of the look on wood goat stuff.

2. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

I’ve good luck with some hornady sabots.

probably have to buy what’s available these days

ronaldo likes this.
  3. CJW

CJW Senior Refuge Member

Use whatever is most accurate in it. Winchester BRI's are plenty accurate in my browning gold and cheaper than those fancy things so that's what I used. With a hole that big anything works.

4. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

If you're looking for this year, good luck. Slug shelves have been empty here for about 6 months now.

Drake91 and ronaldo like this.
  5. ronaldo

ronaldo Senior Refuge Member

Mine seems to prefer Hornady SST slugs. I have had great success with the Remington Accutips in another 20 gauge. Try whatever you can find. I agree that your choices at this time will be slim.

6. buck_master_2001

My gun didn’t care for SST or Winchesters the last time I tried it. Granted the groups were still around 3” at 100 yards. Back a few years ago it was very well known that accutips were the slug for the finicky 220.

7. Pirogue

Pirogue Elite Refuge Member

Both of mine group 3" Accutips and 3" Federal Trophy Coppers equily well. Good luck finding either one !!

8. Drake91

Drake91 Elite Refuge Member

I used the newer Remington barnes those have been around to pick up... but I havent seen accutips since the spring time

9. buck_master_2001

I have a few boxes of accutips. 5 boxes of SST and I just picked up several boxes of the new Barnes. The accutips were deadly accurate but the wound channel and blood trails if there was one sucked balls.

I’ll get the gun sighted in with the new Barnes. Then let my kid shoot the gun with SST’s just so she can get used to the gun.

10. CJW

CJW Senior Refuge Member

It's been years but it was I believe some remingtons that failed to open for me. They were just built much too heavy for whitetails. Or the engineering of them sucked.