SB # 1061 closes Sunday deer hunting @ 10:30 AM

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Mayor of Seneca, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

CC- The Feds don't allow you to pick and choose, you only get 6 days or 7 days per week.

You can't limit it to just January or October.

ted brogan and Scotty like this.
  2. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

Chop,

It took me 6 years to just get extra 2 weeks to Fox hunt with a gun due to opposition by the Horse lobby. I would be leary of accepting terms of more days to hunt deer on Sunday with a 10:30 AM cut off thinking you could get more from them in the future, don't kid yourself. Waterfowl hunting is not on the Horse folks radar, the horses don't walk on water. So my 2 cents today, hunters need to defeat this Bill and send a message to the horse lobby. We have discussed Sunday waterfowl hunting on here every year for the past 9 years so if we have to make (a few or if any) sacrifices then hunters (not the Horse Lobby) must add more substance in a better Bill next year.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  3. muskrat25

muskrat25 Elite Refuge Member

Right, I'm saying 7 days a week. Right now we have basically 10 weeks, 6 days a week. Go to 7 days and its basically 8.5 weeks. So MY PREFERENCE would be to make up the difference by cutting out the middle split, and do one week in October, and 7 plus weeks starting in mid-December through the end of January.

4. chessydogs

chessydogs Refuge Member

Looking through the wording and trying to check all the additions and deletions it looks like bowhunting would continue to be ok all day as would the Sunday youth day. The 3 western most counties don't look to be affected at all. Modern firearm and muzzleloader would have the 10:30 stop time on the allowed Sundays in the rest of the counties where Sundays already exist. Some counties would still have no Sunday hunting at all.

Of course, this is before any amendments might get offered to muck up the works even more.

5. muskrat25

Mayor, last year we had a full Sunday Caroline County bill, 100% support from the county officials and several citizens. The Horse lobby showed up, couldn't find Caroline County on a map, but got it killed by snapping their fingers.

6. Nick G

Nick G Refuge Member

I do think the mayor has a point. While I 100% support opening more Sundays, it's hard to agree to a potentially problematic bill on the premiss that it may open up more Sundays in the future if the horse folks play nice. I probably wouldn't hunt that many Sunday afternoons myself but couldn't this also set the precedent of 10:30 hunting other days just as easily as lead to more Sundays being opened up? I may have to oppose this one...

7. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

This is a terrible idea and we need to defeat it. We need to push for more Sunday hunting, period, not more-but less.. That's like getting a raise but only getting paid half of it, so that eventually you will get the whole thing...

8. Mayor of Seneca

Seems to me we now more opposition from the Horse Lobby than the normal HSUS/Anti-Hunting Lobby in GA. My earlier post the Fox Chasers didn't want any hunter cutting into the Fox population then they finally agreed to the extra 2 weeks last regulation cycle.

9. Mayor of Seneca

(QUOTE="muskrat25, post: 10529630, member: 35961"]Right, I'm saying 7 days a week. Right now we have basically 10 weeks, 6 days a week. Go to 7 days and its basically 8.5 weeks. So MY PREFERENCE would be to make up the difference by cutting out the middle split, and do one week in October, and 7 plus weeks starting in mid-December through the end of January.[/QUOTE]

Chop,

Just an FYI, if and when General Assembly passes a Bill allowing Sunday waterfowl hunting, then MD would have to apply to USFWS to have compensatory days eliminated for Sunday hunting. This was done many years ago for States that didn't have Sunday hunting to obtain full allowable hunting days.

An example, if GA waterfowl Sunday hunting Bill passed this session, since the wheels grind slowly with the USFWS you wouldn't see Sunday waterfowl until 2017/2018. Now the waterfowl season's selections will be done in the spring vs. late summer will help us if & when the time comes .................

I doubt anyone would touch amending # 1061; since we knew this was coming from the Horse Lobby the last 2 years. So if #1061 is defeated, the Horsey Folks will have to return 2017 with a better Bill. Hoping they learned a valuable lesson need to sit down with the variety of hunter groups to iron out an agreeable Bill. If this does happen, those have sought Sunday waterfowl hunting just don't sit this out .................. just say'n

10. muskrat25

Mayor,
    Don't get me wrong, we have a Caroline County full Sunday (ala Western MD) bill in again this year, and I intend to go support it (and probably bang my head against the wall.)

I am just really intrigued by the source of this bill. As far as I can figure, this is the first time the Chairwoman has introduced a bill that expands Sunday hunting to any extent. In the past, we have been making inroads against the status quo that were received by a committee that was generally passive and occasionally hostile.

So when I see the Committee (and the Chair that controls the calling of a vote is, for all practical purposes, the Committee) being pro-active, it has me thinking: you say the Horse Council "needs to sit down with a variety of hunter groups to iron out an agreeable bill". Are you sure that they haven't? Because the silence against this, so far, is deafening from certain entities that hold themselves out as hunter advocates. I'm not suggesting a conspiracy, I'm just wondering if the sausage hasn't already been made.

Let's face it, for most of us an "agreeable bill" is full blown Sundays statewide. We know that is "not agreeable" to some other people that, like it or not, have influence in Annapolis. I'm thinking this may have been the compromise. Just a gut instinct. On the law enforcement side, I can tell you that we have gone to talk to members of the Judiciary Committee, and been told that our bills have already been "shot down" by the ACLU and the Office of the Public Defender. I'm kind of getting that same queasy feeling now.

Transparency in the GA is almost non-existent. Mike Miller just held a news conference, protesting the fact that the Governor posted the email addresses of all the members that voted to override his veto of the felon voting bill. Miller basically said it was inappropriate for the Governor to let the citizens know what was going on in Annapolis and to encourage them to contact their legislators for answers.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but if the Horse Council drafted this bill, and there was input from the "hunting side", I think an all out assault to kill it will fail and it could end up being amended to be even worse.