SBE III chokes shoot loose

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by waterswatter, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Buster_AZ

Buster_AZ Refuge Member

Must not be using the right kind then! I literally greased my choke this morning, shot a limit of doves with around 2 boxes of shells and damn thing hasn’t moved! Just checked to be sure as well :tu I use Otters gun grease just on the threads.
    F4F7CD0F-5346-49FB-805B-3817F05A7A7E.jpeg

ronaldo and Tex68w like this.
  2. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

think of it as a shim, you might need it or you might not? :)

3. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

I tried that grease and it just didn't help. I'm using Tetra now and it about the thickest I can find. Keep in mind I'm shooting hundreds of rounds when I'm shooting sporting clays.

I have found that the thread design has a lot to do with the chokes loosening up. My Kolars and Berettas all get loose pretty quickly. I have a Fabarms side by side that never get loose. The only difference is the amount of threading in each design. Fabarms uses a lot of threads.

Buster_AZ likes this.
  4. Buster_AZ

Buster_AZ Refuge Member

I frequent the sporting range as well. The Otter grease works great for me in all my guns and they do not loosen after 25 shells (as you previously asserted) A box of 3” duck loads yeah, but not a box or two of target/small game loads. What I have found is that oil from in the barrel can migrate into the choke threads. I dealt with this loosening the chokes for years. I now run my guns “dry” and using this grease on the choke, never have a problem anymore!

5. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

Only threads I noticed that loosen the easiest is benelli crio and beretta Optima plus tubes cause the chokes are thin and the threads obviously are too... my Winchester sx3 and beretta mobile have coarser threads than the thin wall chokes... grease helps alil bit but they work loose eventually no matter what grease helps alil bit but I still check after a volley

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 6:12 PM
    Buster_AZ likes this.
  6. Buster_AZ

Buster_AZ Refuge Member

Interesting. I don’t own any guns with the Crio or Optima choke systems, so I didn’t know this was such an issue!

7. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

Only choke threads I've had problems with loosening... but grease in the factory flush tubes stayed tight better than extended tubes for some reason

Buster_AZ likes this.
  8. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

You know back in the dark ages we just used a quarter in choke tube end slots to tighten but I guess no one carries quarters anymore!. Blade of a pocket knife will suffice in a pinch, just be careful to not loose digits;)

Drake91 likes this.
  9. Dr Duk

Dr Duk Elite Refuge Member

I’ve also used the metal lip on an empty shell to tighten.

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  10. Tex68w

Tex68w Refuge Member

No issues with the extended chokes on my SBE3 this past weekend. I shot 23 shells and I don't recall the choke being lose any of the multiple times that I checked, it remained hand tight. I guess we will see if this remains the same as it gets more rounds through it.