sculling honkers

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Apr 26, 2019.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

Duck hunting from scull boats, sneak boats or whatever you might call it... here's a video of a guy successfully sculling honkers.

I know of one guy here that sculls duck, that's @Mean Gene. Anyone else scull for ducks? Post up your stories, your pictures or videos of your hunts or any other sculling videos you come across. I've got a few places that I could hunt and it's on my bucket list.

Here's the video

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    API and callinfowl like this.
  2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

My son sculled a crippled honk with a cinder block but I'm thinking that's not what you're talking about.

goosenazi and pud123 like this.
  3. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

I might try it if i could shoot more than 2

4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I'll have to dig for a photo when I'm home. Lived on Chickamauga Lake for a few years in the early 90s and killed a lot of resident honkers via scull boats.

Winchester 1897 and MJ like this.
  5. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

We used to Skull Davis Lake and killed tons of Honk's and ducks. My brother still has the boat but we haven't used it in years. I need to pull her out of mothball and go kill some birds out of her again, it's a lot of work for my busted up back though and it's hard to pee out of those things.:yes:l:l:l

MJ likes this.
  6. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

No way in hell would I used a O/U on a skull with a limit of 5 out here. Maybe they have a 2 bird limit which would explain why he wasn't bang'inat the geese that came back around right over the top.

We've actually bumped geese in the head with the boat, they aren't the smartest birds to skull into.
    2 3/4'' nickel plated #5 Lead shot was the real deal back them, it busted'um up bad out a whole lot further than I could shoot'um. :yes:tu

MJ and bill cooksey like this.
  7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Crazy the first time you see geese looking down into the boat.

callinfowl and MJ like this.
  8. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

You two probably weigh a 100 pounds more than, "back in the day". Ain't gonna happen:no

9. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like a good time. Our blind is on a decent size lake that is public water. If we dont occupy it by 30 minutes before legal light, anyone can hunt it. Night time speed limit is 25. So we make the 2 mile run across open water in the dark at 25mph on the main navigation channel. It just so happens that the main nav channel is where the divers like to roost overnight. I cant even quantify how many we have hit over the years. You hear and feel them bouncing off the bottom of the hull as you unknowingly ram through a flock of little ducks that are very hard to see riding the waves in the dark. The head lamp says most of the time its bufflehead and bluebill. In the past we would stop and look for bodies. Never found any so depending on who is driving we may just keep going.

10. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Davis up by Portola? That's a good scull lake.

I got a float last year, need to get more practice actually scullin. I did scull up on some ringers, which would have probably been comical to watch from the shore.
    Used it as a layout boat a few times, and it was pretty effective.

callinfowl likes this.