SE Idaho hunts

salthunter

Reaction score
If your stuck at the in-laws, on business?

Snake River hunting, below AF?
Bear River at Thatcher?
Blackfoot Res, cast and blast?
Sho-Ban Trible lands?
You help set up and take down, decent company, and safe

Fine print
I am not a guide!
I am not a guide! I need to say that if hunting ion Idaho

Dr Swane

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
What times of the year are best for travel, mixed species, weather conditions? I’m looking at places/areas to have some seasoned guys hunt with some guys who may not have hunted much, or at all.

Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma, and Nebraska all have some veteran buddies who have expressed moderate interest in putting something together within that Western General area. I’ve talked to some outfitters about options, anywhere from 3-8 guys.

Missy Skeeter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If your stuck at the in-laws, on business?

Snake River hunting, below AF?
Bear River at Thatcher?
Blackfoot Res, cast and blast?
Sho-Ban Trible lands?
You help set up and take down, decent company, and safe

Fine print
I am not a guide!
I am not a guide! I need to say that if hunting ion Idaho

Bear River at Thatcher is pretty location-specific...could draw some unwanted competition?
When I hunted Franklin Country I was very secretive about my spots.
One favorite spot was a warm springs area the sucked in thousands of mallards
at dawn as they were leaving the wheat fields and needed drinking water.

salthunter

Reaction score
Bear River at Thatcher is pretty location-specific...could draw some unwanted competition?
When I hunted Franklin Country I was very secretive about my spots.
One favorite spot was a warm springs area the sucked in thousands of mallards
at dawn as they were leaving the wheat fields and needed drinking water.
Nothing like it use to be. I have the small acreage at Thatcher. Near Mendenhauls old place At one time I could expect limits of ducks and geese or close to it in a mornings hunt, decoying. The whole valley rang of shooting. Recent years none of that happens. Use to have some incredible late season shooting,, but thats kind of gone too. Permissions are a lot tougher, plenty of houses that never use to be .

My wifes from Preston: her dad use to jump shoot the springs upstream to Oneida If your from Preston long enough ago Murry Nichols was a DDS.

salthunter

Reaction score
What times of the year are best for travel, mixed species, weather conditions? I’m looking at places/areas to have some seasoned guys hunt with some guys who may not have hunted much, or at all.

Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma, and Nebraska all have some veteran buddies who have expressed moderate interest in putting something together within that Western General area. I’ve talked to some outfitters about options, anywhere from 3-8 guys.
Forget about the best times to travel,, well maybe June:dv

For a unique hunts check out the Great Salt Lake, And the Bear River Refuge and marsh.

Most areas really have limited spices. And sometimes a rare selection. Ive seen some seas ducks even . Havent shot any.

This region use to be exceptional, one day just pick drake mallards or widgeon. I killed more incidentals ducks in a goose spread than most guys could get duck hunting. Limits on ducks and geese were relatively easy
Our waterfowling has fallen apart the past 10 years, dramatically. I was just making the offer if someone was up around here, and I could get them to set out the decoys:l

Missy Skeeter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Nothing like it use to be. I have the small acreage at Thatcher. Near Mendenhauls old place At one time I could expect limits of ducks and geese or close to it in a mornings hunt, decoying. The whole valley rang of shooting. Recent years none of that happens. Use to have some incredible late season shooting,, but thats kind of gone too. Permissions are a lot tougher, plenty of houses that never use to be .

My wifes from Preston: her dad use to jump shoot the springs upstream to Oneida If your from Preston long enough ago Murry Nichols was a DDS.
I remember hunting downstream from Oneida when most other places were iced up.
Pretty good shoots on mallards and goldeneyes....

Also used to hunt late season in Utah some spring fed creeks and below some reservoir dams that did not freeze up.
Those held hundreds of mallards back in the day.

salthunter

Reaction score
How many years ago?
We lived in Perry Utah from 96-2004. ( had an Idaho license since 91 ) I had permission on every spring coming off the front. Walmart is now on top of one of them . When it was really cold and deep snow it was easy jump shooing. Had some crazey hunts there. The guy I home taught and I killed 23 drake cans in twelve consecutive shoots. I shot 55 drake goldenyes consecutive days,, There wasnt a 56th drake. One spring was filled with pintails , over a few weeks I killed a dozen bulls out of it. I had permission on every place that had water. Even Jay Calls place (flying -J) then found out it was baited ( they fed fish and ducks). Utahj Maybe the most unique incredible hunting Ive had .
Maddox had some pasture below the restaurant where they finished beef just at the end of shooting hours birds would fly into the pasture to feed some times we got a shoot anywhere with in three miles . Killed a sweet brace of GWT on a 106 degree hot spring. We were carefull with the dogs and checked the water and only shot it on sub zero days. and shot from the spring outlet into the cooler water. A buddy was thrilled his lab grabbed three mallards on one retrieve, that was so neat.
Some of the good stuff west of I 15 is now refuge and nicely developed for the public hunter. I had sole permission on the wildlands before the refuge had it.
Shot Mantua where the springs come into the lake, almost like shooting flooded timber.
Also got to shoot some of the old clubs like the 740.
And the bear river if you could get a boat in there after freeze up was crazy good,
A Neighbor owned the hot spring and marsh on Little Mountain Sulfer creek . One other guy hunted it occasionally. Poor pasture, salty sulfer hot springs. After freeze up oi was like some sort of refuge. He sold it to a bunch of guys out east for a hunt club,,, dont know if it was ever developed.
I just looked at Google a dike has been built , no club house , but it looks like they killed off most of the vegetation where it floods

In Idaho I had a number of those huge spring flows out of the mountains . One of my favorite places was a beaver flow above the valley. Tough to get to, but just black with mallards

Last edited:

Missy Skeeter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
How many years ago?
We lived in Perry Utah from 96-2004. ( had an Idaho license since 91 ) I had permission on every spring coming off the front. Walmart is now on top of one of them . When it was really cold and deep snow it was easy jump shooing. Had some crazey hunts there. The guy I home taught and I killed 23 drake cans in twelve consecutive shoots. I shot 55 drake goldenyes consecutive days,, There wasnt a 56th drake. One spring was filled with pintails , over a few weeks I killed a dozen bulls out of it. I had permission on every place that had water. Even Jay Calls place (flying -J) then found out it was baited ( they fed fish and ducks). Utahj Maybe the most unique incredible hunting Ive had .
Maddox had some pasture below the restaurant where they finished beef just at the end of shooting hours birds would fly into the pasture to feed some times we got a shoot anywhere with in three miles . Killed a sweet brace of GWT on a 106 degree hot spring. We were carefull with the dogs and checked the water and only shot it on sub zero days. and shot from the spring outlet into the cooler water. A buddy was thrilled his lab grabbed three mallards on one retrieve, that was so neat.
Some of the good stuff west of I 15 is now refuge and nicely developed for the public hunter. I had sole permission on the wildlands before the refuge had it.
Shot Mantua where the springs come into the lake, almost like shooting flooded timber.
Also got to shoot some of the old clubs like the 740.
And the bear river if you could get a boat in there after freeze up was crazy good,
A Neighbor owned the hot spring and marsh on Little Mountain Sulfer creek . One other guy hunted it occasionally. Poor pasture, salty sulfer hot springs. After freeze up oi was like some sort of refuge. He sold it to a bunch of guys out east for a hunt club,,, dont know if it was ever developed.
I just looked at Google a dike has been built , no club house , but it looks like they killed off most of the vegetation where it floods

In Idaho I had a number of those huge spring flows out of the mountains . One of my favorite places was a beaver flow above the valley. Tough to get to, but just black with mallards

I lived in Logan from 1982-88 and hunted both northern Utah and southeast Idaho.
Back then it was a 90-day season, 7-duck bag limit.
I like hunting blue grouse in super steep avalanche chutes loaded with mountain ash berries in Sept.
Then Oct I would hunt roosters after the opener in southern Idaho.
Nov-Jan was mainly waterfowl and getting better and better after the marshes froze up.

I see from google maps my favorite warm spring area still does not have a road within a mile of it and still has plenty of flooded trees.
That was my favorite late season spot...just ski in if deep snow with the lab and then
lean against a tree as the tornado of mallards came in at dawn from the wheat fields.
No decoys needed.

I bought a lifetime Idaho license for $200 just before we moved up to Alaska in 1993.

salthunter

Reaction score
I lived in Logan from

I like hunting blue grouse in super steep avalanche chutes loaded with mountain ash berries in Sept.

That was my favorite late season spot...just ski in if deep snow with the lab and then
lean against a tree as the tornado of mallards came in at dawn from the wheat fields.
No decoys needed..
I always hunted Idaho the first of Sept,.. More year easily 30 grouse

I had a place I guess it wont matter sharing:dv the beaver ponds are long gone, Williams creek just as you discribed. Deep snow