Season Prepping

Discussion in 'Indiana Flyway Forum' started by Ducky CPA, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Ducky CPA

Ducky CPA Senior Refuge Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Spent part of yesterday brushing in what I call the "Cypress Blind". This is an small area(Approx 5 acres of my 88 acres) of my WRP project which was designed by the NRCS and developed by me planting about 100 cypress trees seedlings back in 2006. I was very fortunate to work with our fantastic local/regional NRCS group who was willing to listen and allow the development of basically 3 completely different types of habitats within my WRP. Also very fortunate to have the entire 88 acres surrounded by a levee and thus have some water control as well.

2. JTerrell

JTerrell Senior Refuge Member

After 21 years, we did a remediation of our WRP water-control dike with the help/funding of the NRCS. (Took 2+ years from initial inquiry-- to finally do the required work in two days.) The contractor did a great job... back-fill damage with #2 gravel, grade out, seed, straw and net the earthen dike. Also scooped-out 20 years of sediment that had filled in the basin out front. Last thing was to remove the Beaver-dam 50yds up from our intake pipe.
    The Beaver began work on a new dam--in the exact spot of the old one-- that very night. They've got it completely replaced now. Buggers. They want our 60+ acres to be a lake-- not a marsh. Cara Bergschneider--NRCS-- was actually interested in helping us to improve access... as opposed to prior NRCS staff postings. She is a breath of fresh-air.
    Like you, Dad and I drove down to pick-up 100 Bald Cypress and River Birch from the state nursery at Vallonia some 20 years ago. I thought we needed a truck--LOL. It was two packages of twigs; each with an attached root. They could have ailed them to us, but Dad wanted to see Vallonia and Starve Hollow.
    We had a REAL nice bunch of blue-wing teal this season-- and I had a 'Bucket List' hunt out there with Ethyl. (YLF) We're off to a great season-- good luck with that blind 'Ducky.
    --Tim

QuaaackerJack and Ducky CPA like this.
  3. Ducky CPA

One thing for sure when dealing with these WRP project is that you have to accept nothing will get done quick, but typically always gets done just on their schedule.

I was purposely holding no water this teal season to allow my year round holding pool(approx 5 acres) to regrow in smartweed and barnyard grass. I hadn't completely drained the holding pool in about 3 or 4 years and unfortunately knew teal season would be a no go there this season.

I currently have the best food sources that I have had since owning this property. It has been a banner year for the smartweed, barnyard grass, and for the first time since 2007 I actually have a food plot(corn) which didn't get flooded out(how's that for determination--planted food plot(corn) at least twice a year from 2008 to current which was flooded out each and every time during that time period). So nearly 88 acres of food--now just need to be able to put water in. Praying for a heavy rain in late October/early November to push the Patoka river up so I can draw water in.

I have all the other blinds brushed in and ready to go as well. Now just need Mother Nature to finish up her job by adding that water.

Good luck to you as well Tim!!

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  4. JTerrell

JTerrell Senior Refuge Member

Our property was originally a cornfield with parallel ditches running the length and tying in to a bisecting main-ditch. Farmer didn't get many crops out of that field over the years I can tell you. We're allowed a 5% of total area for food-crops (corn ideally) but no way to drill or broadcast as we're always too wet now thanks to Beaver.
    'Better hope Beaver don't find your place because they will take-over and remake the landscape to their liking. LOL. We are bordered by a land trust (700+ acres) and I saw a Beaver lodge out there tall as a one-story house and wide as 3-4 Suburbans parked side-by-side. The land trust decided to reforest their holdings in moist-soil Oaks that were originally native to the area. Beaver moved in, built dams and flooded the bottom-- and all their plantings in standing-water drowned. Bald Cypress now have a perfect home!
    I hope you see some good rains down there before your season opener-- we are drought-factor plus here locally. Considering that, the Beaver have at least ensured we held good water for early Teal season. Lots yet to do to get ready for the next split. the Throne blind needs attention for sure. Cool weather makes it easier to get work done without suffering a heat-stroke. 'Better do a rain-dance Ducky!

Ducky CPA likes this.
  5. Ducky CPA

Not to jinx myself but have only seen a single beaver in the 15 yrs I have owned this property and it was simply swimming down the creek. My year round water holding pool is at most 2ft deep and it is only that deep when I first pull boards to let out the water of the remaining 80+ acres. That pool evaporates out normally by mid September and as it does evaporate out boy do the bald eagles have a feast on all the trapped fish.

I too am allow 5% of total area in planted food plots which would be right at 4 acres. However with the food plot getting flooded out for the last 14 or so years(planted at least twice a year to boot) I cut how much I disc and plant down to 2 acres. Hard to justify all the time and expense to plant food plot knowing have about a 5% chance it will produce.