Season Recap

FriedPotatoes

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many people are here anymore but...thought I would start a season recap thread to see how everyone's season went.

I hunt east central OK, it was pretty good early season, peaked around the new year, then got a bit rough afterward. Saw a lot of teal basically all year long, a few mallards with the cold front on New Year's, but saw surprisingly few shovelers or gadwall. Pintails were well represented relative to what we usually see.

I'd give it a 6/10. Not really surprising we didn't see just a ton of mallards considering habitat up north this spring (although they were around in good numbers for a bit). It seems like it really was a banner hatch year for teal though.

kcd

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I hunt NE Oklahoma. November and December weather was awful. Way too hot so I was not motivated to hunt those 2 months. Although I did hear there was a decent number of GWT in the area those 2 months. January was great. Plenty of mallards some teal a few pintail. What was odd we did not kill one Gadwall which are usually abundant in our area. I give it a 8/10. Somewhat dryer this year as well .

Close Shot

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
It was my second best season since I began tracking in the mid-80s. Late season became a little too dry and the freeze up pushed the birds out with two weeks to go. This was on the south side of the state.

Top three ducks were widgeon, ringers and canvasbacks.

10/10 for me.

JP

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Our season was mediocre until the last three weeks. We killed ~300 mallards during that time frame. The first split, we had ~1500 geese using a couple of the fields and harvested ~160 before that party ended. Ducks were few and far between during that time.

Iammichael6499

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I didn’t get to hunt in OK as much as I had planned. Mostly GWT and mallards. Saw a handful of widgeon and gadwall. Woodies were scarce this year. No geese in the area which makes this the only place in North America without Canadas. On the bright side I did discover a slough that’s very difficult to get to for the average hunter unless they are willing to walk 1.1 miles or boat 7 miles and then walk 1/4 mile. There were no people tracks or hulls anywhere around the perimeter. It looks promising for next season assuming water levels don’t get crazy high or low.