Season Recap

Discussion in 'Iowa Flyway Forum' started by qac, Apr 16, 2013.

1. qac

qac Refuge Member

Thought I might try and spice things up around here.

Snow goose season has just ended and it was a tough go for me. Tried, tried and tried some more but due to everything from mother nature to bad timing and bad luck, my Iowa season just didn't go very well. I finally got a few (4) Saturday the 13th, had 20 or so decoy in just beautifully, went 4 for 4 shooting, good way to end. I am posting up a few of my unsuccessful setups and would like to hear from all you other snowgooser's on how things went for you. Post up a pic or two weather successful or not. Lets get some excitement back here on the Iowa page!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. iluvducks

iluvducks Refuge Member

Sorry to hear about your luck but your spreads, especially the ones around water, look nice!

3. qac

qac Refuge Member

iluvducks,

Thanks for your reply. Here are a couple from my only success in Iowa.

Anyone else? Lets see and hear some good, bad or indifferent experiences from this past Iowa Snow goose season...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 2eagles

2eagles Elite Refuge Member

I've never hunted springtime snows. I think about it sometimes, but have never followed through. After starting hunting season in September, going hard through the middle of January, my wife and I both get a little tired of my hunting. Then I take a week off for turkey season #1 and chase tommy as needed in season #4 to scratch the itch. And, oh boy(!) it's time to catch fish.

5. qac

qac Refuge Member

2eagles,

I hear you, it can be tough to try and fit it all in. I use to bow hunt deer in the fall but decided to give that up and focus more on waterfowl. By the time turkey season rolls around I am in the, need a break mode myself.

Hunting Snow geese is my favorite type of hunting. They can be sooooo hard and frustrating to hunt on a consistent basis, it can drive you crazy. In my opinion they are the hardest of all to hunt and be successfull consistently.

If you ever get the chance to go on a spring hunt, do it, it's a great experience. Spring migrations of all waterfowl are spectaclular, plenty of things to keep you interested while waiting on a white tornado to form overhead.

Qac

6. James Bauch

James Bauch Elite Refuge Member

I would add my snow goose floaters, sills, shells, flyers, rags and big foots to your spread to help next year! :)

7. qac

qac Refuge Member

James Bauch,

I have plenty of gear, no worries there. This is a walk in area, about a half a mile through soggy ground at times. Have to be a little carefull on how much stuff to take in, the walk out sometimes seems more like a mile. Thanks

Qac

8. 2eagles

2eagles Elite Refuge Member

I think he was trying to say he'd add his stuff to the hunt for a chance to go with you.

9. IAsnow goose

IAsnow goose Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like my season was on par with yours, qac.

Sucked. The weather this year was too inconsistent. I was only able to get out 2 days and we decoyed in 2 bunches in those 2 days...

10. 1 shot kill

1 shot kill Moderator Moderator

Those new GHG snows look sweet. They need to improve their S&B floaters.