Seeding Coverage? Jap Millet + Mud Flat

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by markethunter, Jun 20, 2005.

1. markethunter

markethunter Elite Refuge Member

What should my seeding rate be?

Broadcasting Japaneese Millet on a Mud Flat.

I'm going around my ponds on exposed mud and got another two maybe 1/4 to 1/2 acre of open mud flat that I've cleared.

Having a hard time juding acerage since it's all just strips.

Can I over seed?

2. Heflin

Heflin Senior Refuge Member

This from the Mississippi Cooperative Extension Service publication "Wildlife Food Planting Guide for the Southeast":

Japanese Millet

Companion Plants
    Grows best alone.

Description
    A warm-season, annual reseeding grass that grows to heights of 2 to 4 feet. Seeds mature in 50 to 60 days. Japanese millet is the most popular planting used for ducks. This plant can withstand shallow flooding during growth. It produces choice seeds for ducks, doves, quail, and turkeys and provides forage for deer.

Fertilization
    Apply 200 pounds per acre of 13-13-13. Fertilization is not required when direct seeding on mud flats.

Lime requirements
    Use amounts required to maintain a soil pH of 6.0.

Management
    Flood 2 weeks before duck season. It is prone to lay over and sprout if flooded for extended periods.

Planting dates
    As near August 1 as possible for waterfowl.

Planting rates
    Broadcast 20 pounds per acre and cover 1/4 of an inch.

Soil adaptation
    Grows best on wet soils.

Soil preparation
    Plant in a well-disked seedbed or direct seed onto mud flats.

3. duckhawk-55

duckhawk-55 Sponsor

Hey K, You can over seed. I have found that dropping back to 12-15 lbs per acre gives stronger stems and less stunted plants. Too much, too close together gives you 6"-10" plants instead of 1'-3' that you want. If walking (mucking) it in, as it sounds like you'll do, set your crank seeder so you can see seeds falling into the mud about 1"-3" apart. If planting this way , the speed you walk makes a difference too. I have planted thousands of pounds of millet this way, and while not rocket science, it works. Remember that Jap Millet will fall over soon after getting wet, so hold the water off as long as possibli. It will also rot after going under. Good luck.