Seeds in a dogs nose?

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by owendog, Sep 18, 2011.

1. owendog

owendog Refuge Member

Anybody have problems with seeds in their dogs nose? I have a pup who is literally blowing his nose so hard to the point his chin is bloody from hitting the ground. I looked online and came across foxtail as being the probable cause. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this in the past and if there is a remedy? The seeds I found on his quote were Lima bean shaped, very small, with little barbs. It also had ,a long tail like attachment with it.

2. G.B. Jack

G.B. Jack Elite Refuge Member

Get your dog to
    The vet ASAP I know of two dogs who have died recently from " the mean seed" from getting imbedded, seriously this is NO joke! It's a problem growing VERY fast even an Article in pointing dog journal
    Foxtail will migrate through skin, organs etc, and get infected so seriously dogs can die very fast

3. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Exactly correct Jack - I used to blow into my dog's nose to dislodge the seed and have been lucky to not have caused more harm. The awl of a foxtail, wheat or other plants with similar seeds can work their way into the lung and cause eventual death. Get to the vet.

4. Pete-pec

Pete-pec Senior Refuge Member

An abscess can grow quickly, and inside the nose could cause some damage that could be very harmful/fatal. I had a golden that would get "hot spots" so bad on the head and face, that an entire cap of flesh would erupt and take hair and skin with it. In the nose it could be awful!

5. stuwest

stuwest Elite Refuge Member

Vet vet vet today
    Vet vet vet today
    Vet vet vet today
    (The computer wouldn't let me capitalize for emphasis)

6. maxx

maxx Elite Refuge Member

Getting the dog checked the vet is never bad advice as the foxtails can be nasty.

with that it could just be a piece of grass or something. My dog was sneezing for a week on and off a lot more than normal. Took her into the vet, they didn't have the ability to so the nose scope thing,cant remember the name. She said it would cost 1500 bucks, or I could give my dog some allergy pills for a few days to dry her up and help clear out what was ever in there.

Went that route and we were ok in a few days.

7. stuwest

stuwest Elite Refuge Member

allergy route fine, but not sufficient.
    must eliminate fox barb.

8. eardrumkiller

eardrumkiller Senior Refuge Member

Vet ASAP

9. owendog

owendog Refuge Member

He's at the vet now. Will find out soon. I don't know if its foxtail for sure, I did pick some off his body yesterday. What a way to start the season with a 6 month old pup. Hopefully its nothing serious, and thanks for all the advice.

10. G.B. Jack

G.B. Jack Elite Refuge Member

Please keep us updated

Here's an exeprt from my article I read:
    Sounds EXACTLY like your dogs situation. Good for you for getting him to the vet ASAP instead of listening to
    Anyone say it's not a big deal

Depending on the location of the seed or seeds, other symptoms are compulsive licking and biting at a paw or around the groin or rectal area or whining and crying with no obvious or acute injury.

In addition to causing pain and localized infections, foxtail seeds can migrate and lodge in the spine, in the lungs and in other internal organs. They enter through the nose, ears, paws, eyes, urethra or just through the skin and travel through the body The seeds are very small, making locating them a painful, difficult and expensive procedure. Depending on where a foxtail seed has traveled to inside a dog, it can even be life threatening and will require prompt surgical removal.

An inhaled foxtail seed which has lodged in the nasal cavity may cause violent sneezing, sometimes with a bloody discharge from the nostrils. To remove it, a veterinarian may need to sedate the animal, locate the seed with a scope, and remove it with a forceps.