Semi-Auto recoil springs.

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by BYD, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I'm very fond of Filberts when I shot a Mitchells !

2. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

The recoil/action spring in the stock is what facilitates pushing the bolt forward back into battery in completing the “auto-loader” part of the cycle.

A corroded, gummed up or damaged recoil/action spring would certainly impede this function.

3. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Have even seen a loose pellet migrate its way into recoil spring tube on an 3.5" SX3. Same scenario as hard to get bolt to go back. Guy who owned it fed it a steady diet of 3.5" shells and when it started failing to cycle he finally got it cleaned. Pellet had indented spring tube but was near receiver end of tube. Hes not a gun cleaner at all other than a wipe down after hunting in salt. Offered to give that p.o.s. SX3 away prior to friend thoroughly cleaning it. Gun worked fine after cleaning and removing pellet.

4. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

I laugh when I hear someone who thinks cleaning means swabbing the barrel complain and trying to get rid of a "POS" auto loader, especially if it's one of the top brands. I always wonder how many "POSs" they'll go through in their lifetime. They must think the rest of us who keep one cycling for years and years are either lucky or just not as "hardcore" as them.

I also like the "I'm hard on my equipment so a Browning won't work for me, I need a Benelli." What do you do with the thing, chop wood? Do Benellis chop wood better?

dog duck gun likes this.
  5. duckbuster5901

Funny thing is he gave away his p.o.s. Browning gold a couple of years prior to that. Same scenario as other except for this time it needed a recoil spring replacement. Took it out and stretched it and hunted gun until new came in. Gun still going fine 4 years latter.

6. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

He's going to be devastated when he thinks buying a benelli will solve all his problems and he ends up in the same boat in a couple years. It's like never changing the oil in your truck and then complaining that Silverados are a POS because it only lasted 50k miles. But I cleaned the windshield after every hunt!!

7. duckbuster5901

Hes already been thru a super 90 but couldn,t break it. Did manage to stick the mod. choke tube in barrel though!