Senate unanimously approves youth hunter bill

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by One_Duck_Limit, Feb 18, 2014.

1. One_Duck_Limit

One_Duck_Limit Senior Refuge Member

What does this mean? They must be talking about big game permits regarding the 12 yr old age limit. Are they saying hunter ed is no longer required to hunt big game?

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) ? Young Utah hunters may soon be able to get a hunting permit to accompany an adult hunter without first taking a training course.

The Utah Senate unanimously approved the proposal on a 26-0 vote Tuesday. It now advances to the House for consideration.

The measure allows someone as young as 11 to receive the permit but would bar them from using a gun or archery equipment unit they are 12 years old.

It requires minors with a permit to be accompanied by a licensed hunter who is at least 21.

Senate Majority Leader Ralph Okerlund is sponsoring the measure and says Utah's Division of Wildlife Resources requested the bill, which is fashioned after similar programs in other states

Utah hunter education courses cost $10 and require at least 12 hours.

2. Citori20ga

Citori20ga Senior Refuge Member

As I read the bill, it basically allows kids to purchase a hunting license that is valid for a year, prior to the child taking any sort of hunter ed course. This will allow the child to see "if they like hunting" before they take the time to take the course.

This seems like allowing a kid to drive a car before taking a drivers ed course... It is my feeling that EVERYONE should take a hunter safety course. Whether they hunt or not. The courses teach some basics that anyone with a gun in the field NEED to know. I whole heartedly believe that we need to get more and more kids involved, but we as parents need to take the initiative to get them interested, and educated BEFORE putting a firearm in their hands.

3. silverkittens73

silverkittens73 Senior Refuge Member

Mr. Citori I echo your sentiments

4. rjefre

rjefre Elite Refuge Member

I want to drive a top-fuel dragster in my neighborhood streets, but it may be dangerous because I don't know how to drive one. I wonder if we can get a law passed to allow me to test drive it downtown for a year while I decide if I want to learn how to drive that dangerous vehicle. Heck, I'm sure that I won't accidently injure myself or someone else while I am test driving among the general populace.
    R

5. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

Doesn't hunter safety only cost $10? Surely it isn't the end of the world if we teach kids basic safety principles, have them pay a nominal fee, and then decide hunting isn't for them. Right?

6. donk

donk Senior Refuge Member

to many parents have lost touch with their kids and for some reason have no time for kids or time to take them places like a hunter safety course. I do agree with you Vanilla everybody should take a hunter safety course parents and children

7. goose em

goose em Senior Refuge Member

Hunter Education is about more than hunting!! As an Instructor I really wonder these people are thinking!