September goose season

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by mazenblue, Jul 22, 2020.

1. mazenblue

mazenblue Refuge Member

I know things are kinda slow right now with summer and covid but the glory days of waterfowl will soon be upon us. This will be my first September goose season in NY. With that being said, how are NY farmers when it comes to asking for permission on a field? NY seems to be a much bigger state for deer than waterfowl and I'm curious if we waterfowlers lose out on property to deer hunters more frequently. Thanks in advance.

Adam

2. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Unless you have an in, getting permission is hard. Farmers don't want Yahoos wrecking their fields so it's easier to just say no. Lots also don't want people blowing up the place with gunfire before deer season opens.

3. aecrowell

aecrowell Senior Refuge Member

I have had great luck getting permission to hunt geese for the September season. Biggest problem is finding the field the geese are going to and getting permission before another group beats you to it.

If your serious about killing a bunch of honkers you'll need to put in your time. Knock on doors and ask. Most farmers hate them long necked white cheeked mofos.

4. 1bigduck

1bigduck Senior Refuge Member

I agree with ae most farmers are receptive to killing geese. Knock on some doors be polite and most of the time you'll get access.

5. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Don't forget that in September almost all of the crops are still standing.

6. mazenblue

mazenblue Refuge Member

Finally found a very cut hay fields holding geese while working my dog. Thank God for on X. Hopefully the farmers are feeling good about thinning the flocks.

7. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks Senior Refuge Member

Keep scouting cause they will move to a better field the day before you plan on hunting or the day you are actually hunting. Also ask if you are the only group that has permission, not unusual to find another ground all set up at 0400 now days.