SFW does it again

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by BBFlinger, Dec 7, 2009.

1. BBFlinger

BBFlinger Elite Refuge Member

http://wildlife.utah.gov/news/09-12/rifle_hunt.php

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8924518 The original link

Looks like the chances of me continuing to hunt big game in Utah just fell to ZERO!

Lets reduce the number of days to hunt, increase the number of hunters that will shoot the first buck they see, reduce the total number of permits sold, increase fees next year to cover the shortfall, AND DO NOTHING TO HELP INCREASE THE HERD SIZE!!!!

I still think the DWR (big game area) need to be put in charrge of mosquitoes and Mosquito Abatement put in charge of big game. We would have no mosquitoes and deer running everywhere:eek:

2. tallbuck

tallbuck Refuge Member

Great... Guess I am going back to Idaho!

3. utduckguy32

utduckguy32 Senior Refuge Member

The DWR did a sort of the same thing with the spring turkey hunts, one less hunt,less birds more hunters just so they could sale more permits,its all about the money and not the sport or wildlife.The turkey hunt just turned into the opening day at farmington bay with all the bubbas in there bright orange, road hunting in the back of there pickups shooting at anything that moves.Props to the DWR in ruining yet another hunting oppurtunity...:mad::scratch:mad:

4. silverkittens73

silverkittens73 Senior Refuge Member

Flinger - my thoughts exactly. When I read this I thought - how about let's put a cap on the number of CWMU permits and limit these permits to hunting five days and only allow them to hunt a certain time each year.

All this proposal was meant to do was limit the number of deer that the average tax payer has access to and ensure the wealthy out of state hunters that this group caters to has the majority of the game to pick from.

These CWMU permits appear to me to offer a wealthy hunter the chance to hunt when ever they want. I am basing my feelings on the fact that they are not limited to an October Deer Hunt - they can have it when ever they want it. I am guessing that the DWR needs to know when their seasons are - but that seems to be the end of their care.

5. Extex

Extex Elite Refuge Member

I think the cwmu operators determine when the hunts can be and for how long up to a certain amount of days. The dwr just says they have to be between Sept 1 and I think Nov 1 -:z The moose hunts have a different window and shorter :scratch My daughter has been putting in for one of those.

There is too many squeaky wheels and tooooooooo many indians and not enough chiefs running the big game rules.

It is too simple to say we have this many deer, we can harvest this many deer - we need to give out this many permits to do that - cuttin the days sucks. I could go on for days about this...........:rolleyes:

6. tallbuck

tallbuck Refuge Member

I agree....the WHOLE CWMU program needs to be overhauled! the Tags that are Alloted to the public is so Backwards it is not even funny... We (Tax Payers) pay for the deer but yet it is the Private landowner, or Leasing person profits from them. I think that the Private to Public Percentage needs to be reevaluated.... But then I guess this is another topic that the UDWR has screwed up on!

7. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

I know it's easy to sit and take pot-shots at the DWR at times like this, but realize it was not the DWR that made this decision, but the Wildlife Board. The shots at the DWR are misguided. If you read the article it states that the DWR recommended having a 9 day season for everyone, regardless of age. It was the Wildlife Board that went against the recommendation of the DWR.

As for CWMU to public tag ratios...for you deer hunters out there, do you really want more public tags given out than are currently being given? The public hills I have hunted the last few years seem to be pretty packed with people unless you're willing to go far off the beaten path.

I won't sit and pretend to know anything about Utah's deer herds, or the needs for the herd to be healthy in regards to harvest. I do know that the CWMU program is essential to proper control of the herds, and it gives many in the public a chance to hunt private land when they otherwise wouldn't have any if they did away with the program.

With all that said, the decision to have a state-wide 5 day hunt for adults is a mistake IMO.

8. tallbuck

tallbuck Refuge Member

Vanilla,
    Thank you for the input that it was not the DWR that made the proposal. I guess the head of the moment sometimes get the best of us all...

I have been very successful the past 3 years at harvesting deer. I am more than happy to get off the beaten trail and get into the back country to harvest animals ( I see more too).

Would the Public hunter not beable to kill as many animals on CWMUs then the Guy who Paid for the Tag???

Why not change the Ratio on CWMUs so that more tags go to the public?? Would this not be better for the Average Joe, and take more pressure off the general public lands as well?

Just my .02

Aaron

9. rjefre

rjefre Elite Refuge Member

The Sportsman for Fish and Wildlife (SFW) group are the same jacks that opposed fishermen on public stream access last year. Nice, real nice...
    R

10. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

You could be right on the ratios of public to private tags on CWMU's tallbuck. I really don't know enough about it to have an opinion. I would have to look at the information more closely, which I haven't done. I do know the program offers average Joe's an opportunity they otherwise wouldn't get. And I do know the harvests on those areas are essential to quality of the herds. But I don't know what ratio's are even in place, let alone what would be proper.

SFW not only opposed public access, but Don Peay basically called fly fishermen extremists and essentially said they have no place or room to talk. Interesting comments I thought....