SFW does it again

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by BBFlinger, Dec 7, 2009.

1. feelinducky

feelinducky New Member

It would indeed be nice to see where some of the conservation tag money, upwards of 20,000,000 to date was spent and what ratio was spent on fisheries and fishing related projects. Is there any information available about sfw's project list? Very valid point rjefre.

2. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

http://www.sfwsfh.org/documents/2008_Conservation_Projects.pdf

Here is one report I was able to muster up. It's small potatoes for what kind of $$ we're talking about, but it might be very representative of what takes place. Especially with comments like these from none-other than Don Peay himself:

"I might remind the “we are radical fly fisherman only” fisherman, that their 300 member groups pale in comparison to the SFW membership statewide, and 95% of SFW members fish. And, when the fishing groups needed to raise $10,000 to put larger rainbows in Strawberry, SFW came up with $7,500 of the 10 grand."

Wow, Don! You should be commended. $7500....now THAT is commitment to the fisheries in Utah! For the record, if anyone wants to do some research, you'll find out how much the project to put "larger rainbows" in Strawberry actually cost. (hint hint....it would buy you a darn nice house!)

I will not discount SOME of the things the organization has done for wildlife in Utah. There really have been some great things accomplished at their hands and pocket books. But they do jack for fisheries. And to laud yourself over giving $7500 to put planted rainbows in a non-native setting as helping Utah fisheries is LAUGHABLE at best. And if they are in fact behind the change to a statewide 5 day rifle hunt, that is indeed unfortunate. It does show the one-mindedness and selfish interests of the group in their actions.

3. BBFlinger

BBFlinger Elite Refuge Member

Read the KSL article. It has been a "personal" issue of SFW to get the hunts in S Utah reduced and the rest of the state the same. BTW doesnt a certain trophy hunting unit that starts with a P fall in S Utah?

4. bubba41

bubba41 Elite Refuge Member

Not understanding it all, are they also proposing 5 day hunts for limited entry units and cwmu's as well the general season? It would seem the revanue for the state and local areas would take a hit financially for all this to go through. They are going to take a hit just from the general season being shortened, but why think about others when you can just think about yourself!

5. BBFlinger

BBFlinger Elite Refuge Member

NO. Just the general season. They did however give the youth an extra 4 days except in the Northern Cache area. CWMU and LE are left up to the landowners. At least that is what I understood when I talked to the lady at DWR

6. silversurfer

silversurfer Elite Refuge Member

I just hate what the DWR, or wildlfe board has done to this state big game hunting. It has always been about the $$$ never about the game animals. The CWMU is the biggest mistake they have ever made.

7. nbp

nbp Senior Refuge Member

correct me if i'm wrong, doesn't ol' don pay his salary out of the donations collected for his corporation, errrr organization?

8. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

I can understand if people think that the CWMU program needs to be "tweaked" a little bit. But to say a program that opened up over 1 million acres of private land in the state to the public to hunt can't be a mistake.

You realize that without the CWMU program, these lands are still privately owned and would not be open for ANY public hunting without written permission anyway, right? These landowners would more than likely still be selling "trespass" tags for people to hunt their lands in the general season and still making money off of their land. It would only be the rich who would benefit.

My dad fulfilled his lifelong dream of taking a mature bull elk last year specifically because of the CWMU program when he drew a tag. To say that the entire program was the worst mistake ever by the DWR is short sighted and simply incorrect. The program is a great program. It might not be perfect, but it's benefitting Utah by being in place. The little reading I did said that 15% of the CWMU tags issued by the DWR are up for public draw. You can look at that as "only 15%" or "15% goes to the public that wouldn't otherwise". I guess it's just a matter of perspective.

9. silverkittens73

silverkittens73 Senior Refuge Member

Vanilla - I am sure the experience with your father was awesome. And the CWMU opens up a whole different type of hunting opportunity for the lucky ones who can draw tags.

I would however like to correct a comment you made:

"But to say a program that opened up over 1 million acres of private land in the state to the public to hunt can't be a mistake"

Before Don Peay & SFW - a lot of these private ranches could be accessed - either though a membership in United Sportsmen, paying the landowner an access fee, and/or alot of the land was just un-posted land that anyone could access. There is a large chunk of land above South Davis County that many people hunted for years without any knowledge that it was private property. Along comes the CWMU program - and guides and outfitters contacted the landowner and voila - the land is now closed to all hunters - and only available to hunters who can afford to purchase the tags and the guide service.

I used to be a member of United Sportsmen - and although I loved having access to 500,000 acres of private property in Utah - this organization actually was the organization that started locking up large chunks of land that the average hunter could access. When I was 16 - I paid $20 and had access to the Anschutz Ranch in the Chalk Creek area for the deer hunt. Within maybe two years United Sportsmen had a lease on the land and only their members could access it. SFW took this type of mentality to the next level.

Granted SFW has brought the CWMU to Utah, however I hardly think they should be given a pat on the back for opening land to the public. Yes the CWMU provides opportunities for Utah Citizens to draw permits to hunt these lands - but keep in mind that the operators of these lands call the shots on when the permit holders can access the land. I have heard more complaints than accolades of this process. The operator is not going to give access to the public permit holder that the hunter that has paid to him for guiding services and the tag wants.

10. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Perhaps the best solution is to make it illegal to charge trespass fees. It is illegal in Canada, and they seem to do just fine. You can secure permission to hunt simply by asking the landowner if he is so inclined. Their position is that the landowner doesn't own the wildlife, and should not benefit from the pursuit of game. Guides can still charge for the service of guiding, but the landowner would have no incentive to favor guided hunters over non-guided.

Just imagine if we adopted this position. If money is the root of evil when it comes to hunting regulations, taking financial concerns off the table could improve things. Organizations like SFW would go away, biologists could manage our fish and game, and the world would be a better place.:)