Shake, shiver, shovel ?

riverrat47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute! The Farmer's Almanac isn't spot on? Damn, I went out and bought a couple of new snow shovels in anticipation of a BAD winter.

hobbydog

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Bring it on.

1659702306515.jpeg

bird junkie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
"Unreasonably Cold, Snowy" will 100% happen at some point from November through March.
I made the mistake of trying to look up fall forecasts last year. They all use a lot of weathery words without predicting anything.

All I know is Dock Spiders ain't nesting yet, so our first frost will be late.
View attachment 350705
Is that the same as a wharf spider? Fish eater?

Dirk Van Schmaldlerson

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
About as correct as today's weathermen/women. Only job you can continually be wrong and get paid for it.
Well, there is another few that continue to get paid even though they are continually wrong, but they are elected so that makes it OK.

BFG

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Farmer's Almanac, wooly worms, cicadas, big flocks of starlings flying in a chain...etc. etc. people in Ohio use all that to determine the weather forecast...

I can guarantee you that the week after Thanksgiving we will have at least 2" of rain fall here in Northern Ohio. I can almost guarantee you we won't have a white Christmas. I can guarantee you that I will be ice fishing in mid-Michigan by January 15th. I can guarantee you that 3 days either way of Valentine's Day we will have our largest snow event of the season. I can also guarantee you that there will be walleyes in the Maumee river by March 15th. I can guarantee that if you want to host a charity golf outing on the first Saturday in June, you won't get rained out. I can also guarantee you that July 15-30th will be our hottest stretch in the year and your AC will be off for the most part by the end of August.

No science involved there...just what I know. :)

Northhunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Is that the same as a wharf spider? Fish eater?
I believe so. Common name is "Fishing Spider", although I've never heard it used.

The common narrative is that they are "harmless", but they do have venom and will defend a nest. Parents almost lost a lab to one once.

bird junkie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I believe so. Common name is "Fishing Spider", although I've never heard it used.

The common narrative is that they are "harmless", but they do have venom and will defend a nest. Parents almost lost a lab to one once.
My son came across one on a tree branch one night that had about a 3” largemouth bass 5’ up off the water. I had never even heard of such a thing.