Shame

Lip Shooter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

Lip Shooter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
This morning at just after midnight the congressional rules committee sent out emails saying they'd meet and vote. By 2:30 am they passed the omnibus spending bill.
1.5 Trillion dollars more on the tab. Brandon will sign it without reading it. Nobody had time ...again.
Pay up soon suckers
Source?
Marjorie Taylor Greene made a youtube video.
LMAO!!!

Same stuff different team.

I guess at least trump would act like he didn’t want to sign it.

Bclick

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

Today, I am much less proud to be an American.​

Putin’s Ukraine Slaughterhouse​

It’s shameful the West did so little to help Kyiv defend itself.​

By The Editorial Board Follow

Feb. 25, 2022 7:08 pm ET

https://www.wsj.com/articles/vladim...5830840?mod=opinion_lead_pos2#comments_sector
im-493701

A residential building damaged by a missile in Kyiv, Feb. 25.​

PHOTO: PIERRE CROM/GETTY IMAGES

Watching the indifferent brutality of Vladimir Putin’s assault on Ukraine is sickening, but it’s vital that the world not look away. This is the bloody consequence of unchecked imperialism, and it’s a warning of what will become more common as the multi-decade Pax Americana recedes. There are also stirring examples of heroism that the world shouldn’t forget.

Russian troops are closing in on Kyiv, with U.S. officials saying Mr. Putin wants to decapitate the government as quickly as possible. Thousands of paratroopers may be dropped to take the city center after missile and artillery attacks reduce the resistance. The Kremlin signaled it is willing to talk with Ukraine, but only as long as the democratically elected government in Kyiv surrenders.

President Volodymyr Zelensky has stayed in Kyiv and rallied his countrymen to resist. In a moment that should haunt European leaders, Mr. Zelensky told them on a video call that “this might be the last time you see me alive.” U.S. intelligence believes the Russians have a kill list of Ukrainian officials, and everything the U.S. has said about Mr. Putin’s plans has turned out to be true. He has proven many times that assassination is central to his business model.

Ukraine’s forces are putting up brave resistance despite being overwhelmed in firepower. One soldier sacrificed himself to blow up a bridge to stop a Russian tank column. Another offered an expletive to a Russian gunboat demanding surrender before he and a dozen others were killed by shelling. Europe and the U.S. should be ashamed for not doing more to help Ukrainians defend themselves.

The wars of recent decades have largely been fought in the Middle East or Afghanistan, often clandestinely with special forces away from the cameras. They have been horrible but have been wars to defeat terrorist insurgencies, topple dangerous dictators, or defend against missile attacks as in Israel.

This is a war of imperial conquest by a stronger nation subjugating the weak. Westerners who have lived in peaceful comfort for decades should absorb the awful lesson.

Appeared in the February 26, 2022, print edition.
You should be more ashamed that we baited them into this war. Having another Finland wasnt good enough for our think-tanks and their neocon benefactors. Well they got their conflict theyve wanted for decades and thousands of dead to boot. Just pray it doesnt escalate to mushroom clouds over myhammy

KENNEDY63

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
You're unhinged, man.

"We" (presumably the U.S./NATO) baited "them" (presumably Russia) into this war?

KENNEDY63

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I think goaded them might be more accurate.

goad

(goʊd IPA Pronunciation Guide )
Word forms: goads, goading, goaded
TRANSITIVE VERB
If you goad someone, you deliberately make them feel angry or irritated, often causing them to react by doing something.

So - welcoming Ukraine in its desire to join the West is somehow "goading" Putin to flatten it?

Kinda like the U.S. goaded Japan by having the the nerve to station a military presence in Hawaii?

Or the bullying of Hitler relative to the annexation of the Sudetenland?

In order to support that proposition, a guy's gotta draw some moral equivalence between western style free market capitalism and command and control governments such as Russia, China, WW2 Japan, and WW2 Germany.

We are from different planets.

WidgeonmanGH

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
In order to support that proposition, a guy's gotta draw some moral equivalence between western style free market capitalism and command and control governments such as Russia, China, WW2 Japan, and WW2 Germany.
I don't think so. In fact, the type of government does not come into play at all.

Is there a moral difference between goading a democracy and goading an authoritarian government? Where is the moral equivalcy?

It is not morally equivalent to invade a country and threaten to join an alliance. You may somehow think I am saying that. I am not.

However, threatening to join an alliance whose soul reason for its existence is to stand against your country, and have that alliance welcome and encourage such a move, is goading. Especially in light of the Munich agreement which Ukraine, US, and Russia entered, and abandoned with the proposition of Ukraine joining NATO.

Did the old soviet union goad the US when it tried to put missiles in Cuba? Yes. This povocative move was abandoned after it was clear that we would go to war, even nuclear war over such a provocation. Had the Soviet Union said, "Cuba can do what it wants as a sovereign nation and needs nuclear weapons to protect itself from being taken over by the US." wouldn't that be a rational argument. In looking at the difference between Iraq and N.Korea, I think it is (not to mention Ukraine which foolishly was convinced to give up its nukes).

Moral of the story is if you don't want to be a doormat for the big countries get a nuke. That is why Iran is trying to get one and when they do (only a matter of time with the idiots in office) why we will eventually give one to Saudi Arabia or they will buy one from .... China or Russia.

You are way to smart to not know about the oil embargoes etc. and seizures of Japaneese financial assets prior to our fight against Japan in WW2. We did not simply just put our ships in Pearl Harbor and Japan randomly attacked them. Yes it was in response to Japanese aggression, but lets not pretend that our embargoes and seizures were not existential threats to Japan. Were our embargoes justified. Sure. But they were still a threat and hostile action to Japan? It was interpreted as such.

Threatening the security of a country is only one way you can goad them. How about making their language illegal in your country? How about supporting an 8 year war with Russian separatists with military hardware etc? All of these things go into equation.

There is a lot more areas of grey in this war than people (and largely the media) are making things out to be.

WidgeonmanGH

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I got my agreements mixed up. For clarity

Agreement when they gave up their nukes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum_on_Security_Assurances

Agreement to cease fire in Donbass etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minsk_agreements

As to proding...... I find this information in 2008(!) to be particularly relevant.

Ukraine and Georgia’s NATO aspirations not only touch a raw nerve in Russia, they engender serious concerns about the consequences for stability in the region. Not only does Russia perceive encirclement, and efforts to undermine Russia’s influence in the region, but it also fears unpredictable and uncontrolled consequences which would seriously affect Russian security interests. Experts tell us that Russia is particularly worried that the strong divisions in Ukraine over NATO membership, with much of the ethnic-Russian community against membership, could lead to a major split, involving violence or at worst, civil war. In that eventuality, Russia would have to decide whether to intervene; a decision Russia does not want to have to face. ~ William J Burns US Ambassador to Moscow 2008