Shanks

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Soggy Socks, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks Senior Refuge Member

Been doing stuff with deer shanks since last year instead of just slicing what meat I could off then making sausage stew etc. I took pics of the last time I made then like Osso Bucc but I think I like them with less sauce just seasoned, browning and slow roasted . Anyone else use them.

2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I literally have turned entire deer into jerky.
    The part you refer to makes good jerky.

3. Soggy Socks

Had these last night. So easy and so good no knife needed Shanks.jpg

4. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I didn't think there would be that much meat on a deer shank! That looks really good!

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I watched MeatEater do that. Next time I drop a deer, gonna do the same thing. Gonna do the neck too, same way.

6. Sam Ortmann

Sam Ortmann Elite Refuge Member

That’s my favorite way to do shanks. Sear them off then braise them down all day. At about the last hour add chopped sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, brussel sprouts, mushrooms and cranberries. Let those soften up and then drain all the stock out and it’s ready to go. If you really want to get fancy you can serve it with maple gravy.

7. Soggy Socks

I watched it on Meateater as well got the cooking book for Christmas. Last year I shot my largest body weight deer ever 225 pounds clean dressed which is way more important than antler score in the northeast we dont get huge racks here for the most part. I had him on camera for three years prior I never targeted a specific buck before or had a hit list like they do on TV but I did for him. I'll likely never get another that large, Anyway his forelegs shanks and other parts were huge so I decided to use every bit of him indifferent ways ribs(not completely sold on them) and all. So that's what I did I also saved the shanks form other deer after that that I killed and after using them like the pic above will keep doing it plenty of other meat on them for burger ,stew and jerky. I did the neck too after trimming most of the meat off. Maybe not for everyone but we eat a lot of venison and different ways of cooking it are fun and enjoyable. Glad others have or are going to tryusing them that way. Shot a six point yesterday afternoon btw on the NY opener more shanks!

OneShotBandit likes this.
  8. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Shanks are probably my favorite part of venison to cook. Chucks are probably second. I really prefer braising over dry roasting. my goto's are usually Osso bucco, or a traditional ragu. I've served these to folks that usually turn their noses up to eating any kind of wild game, and they almost always go back for seconds.
    ELK SHANKS.jpg elk ragu.jpg

9. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I made some venison veggie soup one time & you wouldn’t believe the people who ate that, but turn up their noses at “regular” venison.
    I’m gonna see if one of the guys will give me a roast so I can try to braise it like for Irish Stew!

10. Missy Skeeter

Missy Skeeter Elite Refuge Member

Moose shanks cut into 3 inch sections browning for Osso Buco.
    IMG_0003.JPG