Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Shells

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by smashdn, Nov 24, 2021 at 8:34 PM.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

If anybody does any research at all, the manufacturers are going as fast as they can, extra shift, the whole deal. One problem is materials, which was the main problem early on, besides Covid. Primers, especially.

Fact is, they were stopped, because of covid and materials. Now that 'some' of the problems are fixed, they are going full speed. It will take quite some time to catch up, but the only change then will be the extra shifts that are being offered now. No layoffs.

They are making, and selling more guns, so they will always need more ammo.

tcc likes this.
  2. Sdduck

Sdduck Senior Refuge Member

Boss shells has 16 ga in stock

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

16ga steel's been over $20 a box in my area for some years. So that jump seems a lot more palatable than that what's happened with 20ga steel.

tcc likes this.
  4. Small Bore Hunter

Small Bore Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I don’t shoot steel in my 28 duck hunting just bismuth. Yes the shells are pricy but I am picky on shots I take even at Reelfoot. I have been in blinds where they were shooting at some 60 plus yards shots. I just watch. Some people go to shoot I like to hunt, but it limits me on hunting partners. Cypress Creek at Dyersburg had 38 flats of Migra duplex shells last Friday but at $44.95 a box they will last awhile.

5. Rogue Hunter

Rogue Hunter Elite Refuge Member

I might try them for some 16ga, #4's for next year.

6. tripper

tripper Senior Refuge Member

Seeing more ammo on the shelves now than I did couple of weeks ago. It's getting better.

tcc likes this.
  7. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Elite Refuge Member

Crazy around here, time flies, wasn't that long ago Dunn's had them on special for $10.99 a box - $2.00 box Federal rebate, for a sum of $8.99 box. Glad I scooped up 20 boxes. Could of sworn somebody passed on that deal.

8. C M Wings

C M Wings Senior Refuge Member

Bill - good point - but I do think there is more 28 out there than prior. Just seems everyone has one and other than primers should be cheaper to load if tooled for them. I'm not a sub-gauge guy, but I feel like I want a 28.

9. Small Bore Hunter

Small Bore Hunter Senior Refuge Member

You will love the 28. If water fowling you want pattern density so I shoot mostly #6 but have 4’s & 5’s. Upland 8 & 9’s for quail but use 6’s or 7.5 on pheasants. You will see no difference in kill numbers with larger gauge guns. For most people it’s in their mind. My brother could not hunt with a sub gauge gun.

10. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I bought a .28 partially over that. CZ Bobwhite, Fun little gun!

tcc likes this.