Shot a couple handguns today

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Hawk, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

Buidling upon my beginner handguns thread the other day I had a chance to go out and test a couple guns today. I got to shoot the Glock 22 and the M&P in 9mm. Feel and fit wise the M&P fit me much better. I don't have much handgun experience and right from the first pull I was fairly accurate with the M&P. I was not as accurate with the Glock from the same distances.

I didn't feel the recoil from the .40 was over the top but it was definitly more than the 9mm, which made me enjoy the 9mm much more and I was able to snap off quicker and more accurate second and third shots with the 9mm.

I'm not trying to start a 9 versus .40 argument. I enjoyed the 9mm more and I shot it better. I have not tried a .40 M&P but I wonder if it would be more accurate than the Glock which it probably would since the M&P fit me better but would the recoil be any different?

I've done lots of reading and I see it said a lot that the modern 9mm shells are plenty potent. Can anyone point me to recommended home defense rounds in the 9mm just so I can do some more research?

I appreciate all your help so far as I know many of you have much more experience than me and I'm glad you have been willing to share it.

2. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Most sling shots are more accurate than stock glocks. If you shoot most Sigs or a good 1911, you'll experience accurate with handguns. :)

3. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

Ordinarily, I'd avoid posting these .... but what the heck .... it's the "off" season, there is some truth to them and they are funny. In this area, most law enforcement agencies have switched to the .40 S&W or the .45 ACP after having used the 9mm in service. I presume there's a good reason for that change.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:flame:flame:l

4. 2eagles

2eagles Elite Refuge Member

When it was time for me to buy, I asked for help from a retired LEO and armorer.
    He showed me some and let me decide. I walked away with a M&P in .40 cal. It just felt better to me. He explained the why of the 9mm (Luger). It wasn't designed to kill because that only takes one person out of the battle. A 9mm wounds one and keeps his rescuers out of the battle too. I don't think he was kidding me.

5. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

Yep, I have seen those pictures of the .45s a 100 times as I researched handguns. I can take my share of ribbing. I haven't shot a .45 but I would like to. However based on my budget I don't think I could practice very often with the cost of .45 ammo.

I'm not rushing out to buy a gun yet, just looking at more research. I enjoyed the 9mm and maybe I would like the M&P .40 more than the Glock. Its not the Glock that was inaccurate, it was me. It is my fathers gun and he grabbed it and was dead on, I just couldn't hit with it.

Like I said I'm just looking for advice on 9mm shells for home defense because if I try the .40 and don't like it I'd like to have my ducks in a row and research done to go buy the right ones.:tu

6. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Probably not, but he was for sure misinformed. While I'm just as big a fan of going bigger with handguns as anyone, there is nothing at all wrong with the 9mm and bullets developed in the last ten years. I also own 40s and 45s. I think the 9mm and 45 do what they are supposed to do, as does the 40, but with more recoil due to putting it in platforms typically designed around the 9. :)
    I really, really want another hipower in .40, just so I can convert it to 9mm and/or 357 sig, to last forever with +p+ shooting...or just a new g2? edition Sig 229...probably be easier to come by. :nutz

7. roy123

roy123 Elite Refuge Member

Hawk, don't let any of the wanna be rambows tell you the 9mm is not a potent round, or that it was not designed to kill. I carry one of my 9mm's everyday and would trust my life with a 9mm as I would any of my larger bore handguns. Shot placement is key. A shot outside of a vital area is not gonna kill regardless of caliber. I've had great luck with the hornady custom xtp's, tap, and federal hydrashoks.

8. BPS slayer

BPS slayer Elite Refuge Member

Opinions about these calibers are often based on inexperience by folks who have never actually shot another person with both calibers. I mean honestly, how many of you have shot other people with each of the calibers in question?
    Because of their lack of personal experience they back thier view with military or LE statistics. The thing is, the military is hamstringed by the use of FMJ bullets in the 9mm. If they were able to use a quality hollowpoint like a Remington Golden Saber, Speer Gold Dot, etc. then results might be a lot different.
    Now personally, I carry a .45 with 10 Speer Gold Dots. Would I feel undergunned if I switched to a 9mm with 17 Gold Dots? No.
    Remember, a handgun is only there to buy me enough time to:
    A. Get to safety.
    B. Get to a bigger gun.
    C. All of the above.

9. 7.3stroke

7.3stroke Senior Refuge Member

I have both a 9mm and a .45 in the 1911 format and have defensive ammo for both. The. 45 has obvious advantage but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be downrange from a 9mm either.

10. Fowl FLunky

Fowl FLunky Senior Refuge Member

If you decide on an M&P 40, keep in mind that you can buy a 9mm replacement barrel and 9mm mags and have both.

Cheaper practice ammo with the same trigger and platform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ9TaNKob3I