Shotgunning: The Art and the Science by Bob Brister

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by THEIRCOMMITED10, Jan 4, 2020.

1. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

I was thoroughly impressed with this book . I’m not much of a reader , but I was able to finish this book in a couple days and it was quite relaxing .

I guess that makes me a shotgun / ballistics nerd , but I thought the book was really well written . What I liked was it was written in an old school style of no bull **** concept . I thought I knew a lot about shotgunning but He went into great depth of red neck science and data along with historic merit .

I was really looking forward to chatting with 10Gaugnut about this book . If you haven’t got a chance to check it out I think it’s worth your time if you can get it for a nice price on eBay or somewhere .

If you have any books you'd recommend please list them I’ll check into it . I’ve read most of the Nash Buckingham stuff too which I enjoyed .

Sunklands and Drake91 like this.
  2. kjl845

kjl845 Refuge Member

Shotgunners Notebook by Gene Hill is a good one also.

3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Hey Commited I too really enjoyed Bristers work , had many chuckle's while reading it to ! His approach to verify shotgun ballistics was crude but final !
    You might want to look into Tom Rosters ( shotgun barrel Alteration Manual ) it makes for good follow-up info Brister never got into ? Another enjoyable
    read is Jeff Meloy's (Understanding Shotgun Stocks for better shooting) these will give you something to think about , for sure !
    Joe (10gagenut) and I had many discussions about these writings , loads and hunts .

4. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

I've read Bob Bristers book "Shotgunning" a hundred times. I got the book when it first came out in the 70's. He was an expert on Hunting, Fishing, and shooting. Dave Petzal had it right as far as I can tell and from what I've read and heard, Brister could out shoot, out fish, and out drink, just about anybody. Excellent book!

Sunklands likes this.
  5. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

It really explains the proper way to lead a target using the unit system and he goes into great detail on all subjects regarding the shotgun and shooting. There are two editions, and the second edition does have a lot more up to date material.

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Are you looking for books on hunting or books on shooting?
    I have a nice library of hunting- and shooting-related books that I've amassed over the decades. I could recommend a few if you let me know what type you are interested in.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  7. THEIRCOMMITED10

Hey there TuleMan . I was thinking anything Wingshooting type books . Waterfowl ducks and geese is a bonus but general stuff similar to the Brister book . I enjoyed that book , and because of it I may try to start reading more . Just looking for ideas . Thanks .

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Here are some of my favorites:
    How-to books:
    Duck Decoys and How To Rig Them, Ralf Coykendall
    Waterfowling Tips, Tactics and Tales, Chris Dorsey
    Waterfowling, Beyond the Basics, M.D. Johnson
    Successful Waterfowling, Zack Taylor (in the top five in my library)

Hunting stories:
    Moss, Mallards, and Mules, Bob Brister
    Memories From a Misty Morning Marsh, Larry Dablemont
    Mostly Tailfeathers, Gene Hill (barely made my list, but that doesn't mean you won't enjoy it)
    Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, Gordon MacQuarrie (these are the top three books in my library)
    More Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, Gordon MacQuarrie
    Last Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, Gordon MacQuarrie
    Wings of Dawn, George Reiger

Shotgun stuff:
    Shotgunning, The Art and the Science, Bob Brister (you know that one...)
    Shotgun Stuff, Don Zutz (lots of good stuff, a little not-so-good...)
    Sporting Shotgun Performance, Measurement, Analysis, Optimisation, Dr. A.C.Jones (only if you are into the pure science, charts, graphs, technical jargon, etc.)

I have over a hundred books on hunting/wingshooting, clay target shooting, and shotguns. I'm constantly looking for more good ones. If you have a recommendation, please post it on this thread for theircommitted10 and me.

THEIRCOMMITED10 and Sunklands like this.
  9. THEIRCOMMITED10

ThankYou TuleMan . One I can recommend maybe you already have it is : The Best of Nash Buckingham .

Also Shootingist Gent’man . By Nash Buckingham

10. cprodave

cprodave Senior Refuge Member

How did Brister get his wife to drive the station wagon while he shot at (OK--behind) it? In today's environment some anti-gun person would get Brister arrested...

Agreed this is a great book...

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.