Shotkam dove video

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Drundel, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

I figured some of you would enjoy this. Video from the 1st for my 15 doves.

Shooting Trulock IC with Rio 7.5s.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgX3uNTrxVdIsnC23DpApcDXBG0TSIo_I

And here is the info to find out more about my gun camera, its called a Shotkam.

http://bit.ly/2lqYJUe

mmayes and ronaldo like this.
  2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Hey Thanks Drundel , looking at kill shots is always fun ! You say you're shooting 7 1/2 Steel loads ? or Lead ?
    Watching the way this birds are hit ,I'm guessing , but think the close ones are inside of 30 yds and the Far Far ones looked to be on the fringe of 45 yds
    needless to say , good shooting !
    I'm thinking these shells were of Steel shot as 2/3rds were falling still alive ? but there again , if it was steel shot , those high flyers weren't 45 more like 35 yds ?
    The Rio's 1 oz of 7 1/2's at 1280's out of a IC , from past Sporting Clays experience , will do a fine job on Dove's "if" you are not mandated to use steel like
    I am !

3. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

That’s lead on white wings.

4. Drundel

Thanks

Shooting white wings. The load is 1-1/8 of #7.5 lead at about 1300 FPS. We bought those Rio - Royal 32 back in '07 when the prices just started going up, man I wish I had 10 more cases of that ammo.

Nah, even the far ones are about 35 yards, maybe 40 at max, but I avoid tall shots, I had the wrong choke in for those and don't want to walk all that far in 95+ weather. I haven't uploaded yesterday's video yet, but I did find the birds were either crumpled (as you can see in video) or the sailers. And the sailers were 100 or so yards from where I shot, they were dead when I got there to pick them up. Had to break a wing to get them to come down quicker or head shot.

5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I like the red dot aim point on the camera, I wonder if that camera helps with your leads or not.
    I use 1500 fps Longshot 1 1/8 oz loads, then the all tall shots get in much closer even with 7 1/2 shot.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  6. Drundel

When I first got it it did. I could tell on cold days with lots of layers I was pulling the shot before the trigger broke. So I changed out the springs and try to wear more thin layers, I think that's helped when we go north.

On some teal hunts I still can figure out how the heck I missed a decoying bird with 1-1/8 oz of #6 steel out of a CYL choke at 10 yards; I'm not that bad of a shot.

7. 10GAGENUT

:l Over the years I've come to beleive Teal are sometimes bullet proof. Shot quite a few Greenwings , they seemed to be hit hard when they hit the water and then start to swim off, sometimes it took two direct hit water shots to finally kill them on the water. Don't ask me why but I have had it happen.

8. bullet225ho

bullet225ho New Member

Have you ever patterned a 1 1/8oz #6 steel at 10yds? I have. It's like an 8" circle full of shot. I'd saying missing anything moving at 10yds with a shotgun would not be that hard to do.

Thanks for the videos. Great footage.

Also, How much have you slowed the footage down? I played them back at X2 speed on youtube and it still seemed slow.

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

You are braver than I shooting 1500 1 1/8 oz lead loads with Longshot . I did try a couple 1585 fps loads once , had a hardtime convincing my squadmates
    to come back . I do like 30 grs of Longshot in a 1 1/8 oz load as it's made me some pocket change at a few shoots .

10GAGENUT likes this.
  10. 10GAGENUT

:rolleyes: They are a bit loud now I can agree with that, my hunting partner refers to them as Attention Getters.
    If I now they are going to be flying high after they get shot at for a week or two, I have gone to the Longshot 1440 fps 1 1/4 oz load with hard sixes in it, seems like overkill but they do the number on high flyers for sure.