creedsduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not legal
my-man.jpg

15thTN

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Murphy's Pound on West KY, is known to have the densest population of cottonmouths in the world. I've rode horses all over the Obion Creek bottoms that border it, and can attest that it's full of them!

Nothing like riding up to a creek you want to cross, and seeing limbs fun of them. Sounded like a bunch of kids throwing handfuls of rocks into the water, when they started dropping in!

A buddy of mine was kayak fishing, down the creek from Murphy's Pond. One didn't like him intruding, and slid off the bank after him. It died of lead poisoning as it was swimming his way.

People used to fish down there back in the day. My barber headed down there, and they were crossing a beaver dam to get to the fishing hole. They killed something like 15 in just a few feet. They decided fishing wasn't that important that day.

creedsduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I live in an area that has its fair share of cottonmouths, not the densest population in the world but enough. I've hunted, fished, trapped, and trapped through the swamps and marshes here my whole life. I have never seen a cottonmouth off the ground. I'm not calling you a liar I'm just saying in my experience they don't climb trees. The snakes in trees are always water snakes. Plenty of people that can't tell the difference. I'm never cease to be amazed at the people that have been around the water their whole lives that can't tell the difference.

15thTN

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
They certainly do get on limbs, maybe not as much as water snakes. We saw a ton of real deal water moccasins that day, so may have assumed what we heard, was more cottonmouths than actually were. Either way we didn't catch one, and ask if he was on a limb before :l

creedsduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
They certainly do get on limbs, maybe not as much as water snakes. We saw a ton of real deal water moccasins that day, so may have assumed what we heard, was more cottonmouths than actually were. Either way we didn't catch one, and ask if he was on a limb before :l
Just to be clear I wasn't directing the comments about not being able to tell the difference at you, just a general statement.

Until I see pics of one in limbs I'm standing by my assessment that they don't leave the ground! At least here they don't.

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
A really big King Snake is a beautiful thing.