Show me your snake

adirondack46r

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yes, a cottonmouth.
State biologist my son knows couldn't believe that he had seen one this far east in middle TN until my son sent him the picture. Usually, they are found between the TN River and the Mississippi River in swampy areas.
We have the trifecta in TN...Rattlesnake, copperhead and cottonmouth.

I spend a lot of time on the smaller rivers here in middle TN. I thought all I had to worry about were the rattlers and copperheads. What river was your son on? Hopefully he wasn't east of Nashville.

GUNNERX2

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time on the smaller rivers here in middle TN. I thought all I had to worry about were the rattlers and copperheads. What river was your son on? Hopefully he wasn't east of Nashville.

He was on the Harpeth River.
Years ago, a friend that volunteered his time with TWRA was helping clean out some access ditches on Cheatham WMA and came across a cottonmouth. He reported the sighting but TWRA poopooed the information.

creedsduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
20220627_090219.jpg

This one might would've hitched a ride if I let it.

Bear

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Too many encounters with Texas rattlesnakes when I was a kid. A friend was working on his car and asked me to go get a tool out of his grandfather’s old wooden toolbox.

I opened the lid and reached in to move things around to look when I spotted a rattlesnake curled up in the box.

I jerked my hand up just as he struck and he just missed me.

I’ve seen how much destruction a rattler can do to a kid’s leg…a man’s hand and a dog’s face that I kill Satan’s lapdogs every one I see.

Every damn one of them.

sdkidaho

Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming
Reaction score
1656650258055.jpeg

Baby rattlesnake we saw last night while hiking. Heads about the size of a dime. Maybe 6-7 inches long.

Bear

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score