Show me your snake

The Mad Duck

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Does it not end ?
Couldn't there be a courtesy to shed yourself outside, in your own habitat?
This is in one of my outbuildings/storage areas at work, on a shelf, about face high.
Somewhere, he is hiding, and ready to strike....
View attachment 351478
A few years back, I went into my shed to grab a few decoys. The last one I picked up was at eye level. It was a suc duck type decoy and coiled up in the recess was a big old black snake. Truth be told, I scared it worse than it scared me,but I still did the pee pee dance

nobands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Does it not end ?
Couldn't there be a courtesy to shed yourself outside, in your own habitat?
This is in one of my outbuildings/storage areas at work, on a shelf, about face high.
Somewhere, he is hiding, and ready to strike....
View attachment 351478
Haha , everything I'd need from here till freeze up would be in the back of the shelves in the darkest place . Get one of those grabbers old people use to pick stuff up with.

buckmaster1

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Leesburg, Fl, Formerly from Gloucester, VA
Years ago, with I lived out in the country I went to the pump house to change the water filter. As I opened the door (inward) I had a baby copperhead fall on my shoulder. I did the holy 5h1t dance and backed out really quick. My biggest fear was, where the heck is Mama and its siblings. I never did see any others, but I sure kept my eyes peeled every time I went to the pump house.

Now we had a rather larger black snake in the horse barn that I spoke to every time I went out to feed the horses. He did give me a jolt one time when I went to grab a hay bale. He was sleeping underneath it a startled me. He just kind of slithered away. Never bother him as I never had a mouse problem or any other kind of snake in the barn.

Timber Hole

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
That’s definitely a Black Momba shed! The good news is that if you get bit you won’t need to suffer the uncomfortable ride in the ambulance! Good luck!

The Mad Duck

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this story needs to be told here and now.....
Many moons ago, my stepson and I had a small lease down East for Deer hunting. We had gone to seperate stands for an evening hunt. It got dark and I climbed out of the stand,across the field and down the path to the truck. I was a smoker at the time and was enjoying a cigarette at the truck. It kept getting later and later and I was about to strap the headlamp on and go look for my hunting partner. I had taken a few steps when I hear a loud BANG. Its pitch black now and I remember thinking, "Dang, its kind of late to be shooting" I look up the path to see a light moving fast and bouncing eratically. A moment later, my hunting partner comes skidding to a halt at the truck huffing and puffing and totally out of breath. I said.."What Happened"? His reply was...

Walking down path...huff puff....Rattlesnake in path...huff puff huff puff...Coiled up ready to strike...huff puff huff puff. Aimed gun at it.....huff puff huff puff..Shot bang...huff puff huff puff...Blew snake ito air...huff puff ...Landed in my hood..huff puff (I noticed at this point that he had no jacket on) Shucked off jacket...huff puff...Left jacket in middle of path...huff puff...Ran to truck..Huff Puff
I'm almost in tears at this point laughing. I asked if he wanted to go back and get his jacket..His response was...I need a cigarette. The jacket spent the night on the path. We went back the next day and the jacket was in the middle of the path,where he left it. The snake was still in the hood of the jacket,at least what was left of it. It was missing the head,but was definitely a rattler. He has not lived that down to this day.

Rick Hall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Now we had a rather larger black snake in the horse barn that I spoke to every time I went out to feed the horses. He did give me a jolt one time when I went to grab a hay bale. He was sleeping underneath it a startled me. He just kind of slithered away. Never bother him as I never had a mouse problem or any other kind of snake in the barn.

Keeping black snakes as outbuilding mousers was fairly common in the time and place of my youth, and requests like "Bring me a shovel." were often accompanied by "and don't kill my snake." Fell into the habit, myself, albeit with rat snakes down here, and inadvertently found it a pretty good way to keep the small grandkids from messing where I'd rather they didn't.

Il. MudDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it's 12 maybe fifteen ft.
20220812_090726.jpg

Deltaman

Senior Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn near stepped on a moccasin yesterday, while putting some bird seed out in my back yard. Damn thing was backed into a divot in the grass, ready for a bird to come hither. He blended right right in, and had I not seen that triangular head peering out, likely would've stepped on it. I had taken my dog out to pee, and thankfully found the snake before she did. It was kind enough to stay put long enough for me to gather up my hound, slip in the house and grab a .22 pistol that is loaded with rat shot for such an occasion. Hate killing a snake, and give the Garters, Black and Ringed-Necks a pass, but a Moccasin or Copperhead gets shot or de-headed with a shovel.

widgeon

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother ran across a pretty big timber rattler yesterday. He heard it rattling before he saw it. Sorry for the bad pic. He was a little rattled!

IMG_20220822_183253.jpg