Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

show us your goose pit

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by salthunter, Feb 15, 2021.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Do you get to put them in next year?
    I use to hunt west of Perry, out Willard spur, and my own little island on the Reeder flow

2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

35 years ago my dad was member of a club that had upland game hunts and ducks too. We did shoots where they released birds that had to fly over trees and we tree topped em heading for the pond.

For extra you could use a 'sink box'. A submerged pit type of deal in the pond. Pen raised birds.
    ive never seen anything like it since

3. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

Salt they are now illegal put in on State Sovereign Lands. So basically anywhere on the GSL. They have made Willard Spur into a State WMA. Which is a good thing so far. Hopefully being a WMA will help fight against the water grab from the bear river. I would think the two clubs Pintail & Willard will be out of business soon now they can't put permanent blinds on state ground. I'm surprised something hasn't happened on the Spur like what did at Reelfoot.

4. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing Forum|Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

I don’t know of anyplace around here that does ducks . But a friend of mine in Minnesota was involved with a club similar to what you describe ducks and pheasant . Ducks released going back to pond ect ect

5. salthunter

Thats good its a WMA. Good place. Generally had 500 acres to my self.
    I heard that last week about state lands
    I lived a lot of my life between Willard bay and the BRBR
    Some ways too bad because it was nice to have pits on the mud flats. But Some of those "clubs " had it coming. I had permission from the Private landowners , sometimes caused a riff with the airboat clubs until I saved some guys life ( fear had taken over any sense he had.)
    Hmm the old Perry club had pits on state lands,..

6. salthunter

C
    I got a couple coffins to sell!:sp

7. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

There is nothing that compares to a pit built with a mind to comfort and luxury. But I don't have that luxury.
    I've had to settle for years with a mobile island hunt.jpg blind built for ease of transport, and it works for friends and family.
    Three (Soon to be four when biggest is cut in half) blinds that seat 8 guns. Two pins, three minute set up for each one butted up end to end.

ARHHH4 likes this.
  8. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

That’s what I call Luxury hunting ..... never had that kinda comfort ... ( hell I forget our water blind goose blind in the rice ) yeah it’s nice to just get there sit and hunt outta the wind ..... but I’ve always said dig a pit and your stuck there ... I can hide my layout about anyplace .. nope not luxurious but defiantly kill geese and can move wherever they are .. can’t take the pit and move it one day to the next ...

9. salthunter

Well a few things did happen out Willard Spur.
    My go to when confronted out there. "Lets call" What ever the CO's name was from Mantua.
    One year I hunted two days with a fellow, It wasn't until I was saying my goodbyes and he told me he was a Fed looking
    into problems with the "Clubs" . And he gleened a bit of info from me
    I became fairly well establish as a non trouble maker I had two key permissions that other didnt have, And after a couple "discussions" I was left alone.
    I saved a kid and a dad from one of the airboat clubs, In reality I thought I was just giving them a ride,, They claimed I saved their lives :doh
    One time I watched as two groups were mixing it up. I had a cell phone and call the CO. I could hear cussing from 3/4 mile away, guys ripping up decoys and spinning mud with ATV's. Willard State Park guys showed up first, then DNR, Sherriff, Willard cop and CO's I didnt know.
    I stayed hunting out of my little pit on state land beside the refuge When I came out One of the CO's I didnt know asked to write up what I witnessed,.. It wasn't a deposition, but testimony, Took a couple hours over the hood of my truck to write it up and answer questions.

My go to when confronted out there. "Lets call" What ever the CO's name was from Mantua

I lived in Perry I home taught a couple of old timer widows and one other lifetime hunter. Wow did they have stories
    Seemed like groups created a "club" and ran everyone off of public land. I had never seen such nasty land grabbers, Cache Valley and into Idaho was crazy

10. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member