Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

show us your goose pit

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by salthunter, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

I gotta stay mobile. Pits limit you in some ways, are so nice in others.
    Nothing beats a pit for comfort, but mobile is...well, it's mobile.

salthunter and brentbullets like this.
  2. Fsbirdhouse

As guys are finding they lose access to private grounds for pits, or cannot dig them wherever, for whatever reason, many are going back to layouts, or the newest rage.... panel blinds.
    I hate panel blinds! Don't like having to push anything out of the way to shoot...I lose track of bird I'm following, and that movement alerts the birds too much for older, slower guys like me.
    Over the last 9 seasons or so I've had to cull my locations I hunt down to places I can drive right to the X. And those locations even include a water hunt where my large 'Hard Frame Blinds' only have to be carried 15 feet. A new location I'm grooming at water's edge maybe 25 yards.
    But for those of you who would like a larger, dirt cheap blind you can easily carry on your back, you really need to look into Reed fencing at Home Depot, Lowe's, or even Walmart online.
    A 6x16 ft roll is about $26 dollars. Tough stuff, but can be cut with a heavy pair of scissors. It's what my hard frame blinds are covered with, and lasts for about 4 or 5 years, even outside, along side garage for months at a time. Only a very little wind block, but you can sit in chairs comfortably.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-6-ft-H-x-16-ft-W-Natural-Reed-Garden-Fencing-0406164/203580820
    Though I have yet to use it over the last four years, this full length roll up blind only weighs in at about 35 pounds with three pieces of support conduit within. You can easily cut this down to panel blind size to perhaps 20 pounds total if you want. A couple of straps and carry like a small back pack leaving hands free.
    I use ditch bank grasses zip tied directly to the reeds. IMG_1620 (1).JPG
    IMG_1624 (1).JPG

BTW: Just viewed the link at Home Depot.
    Sent them a note several years ago about it's use as a hunting blind base material. I think they took it to heart as it is now part of their promotion. No doubt others have confirmed it since.
    There is nothing I've ever found that is as perfect as this stuff for that purpose

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    870 and salthunter like this.
  3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Good info above ^^^^^. Guys have sprayed blind mat material with Thompson,s Water Seal ( and other like preservatives) to make them last longer.

4. Fsbirdhouse

As long as there is no shine!
    I have stood my hard framed blinds out alongside the garage for months, during heavy rainstorms (But mostly out of the wind) and they have held up during those times.
    IMG_1868 (1).JPG

5. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Great tip! Thank you.

Question.... when you cut it, does it have tendency for the stitching to start prematurely unravelling and the reeds falling out ?

6. Fsbirdhouse

It's wire. Just a couple of twists secure those as cut. But bend in, or down. Sharp as tiny needles! Cut reeds flat, or they can poke you too. But neither happens very often at all.

870 likes this.
  7. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the reply. Good stuff

8. Fsbirdhouse

Hard frames Butt together end to end, but look like this individually when first grassed up. Then you have a 24 ft blind that seats eight. Conduit and reed fencing total maybe just under $300 for all when first built some years ago.
    IMG_1591 (1).JPG

Dr Swane likes this.
  9. kberggren

kberggren Senior Refuge Member

Geez & Crackers Love your pics.

My dad's (L.Berggren) favorite project was working on the pit and making the farm an unforgettable experience for his guests. He passed away while snow goose hunting in 2016. We haven't change anything since then but our duck hunting continues to get better and better. Unfortunately I've only been able to goose hunt late season (Jan & Feb) or spring snow goose hunt handful of times the last 5 years because of my job and current location & my brother coaches his kids traveling teams during that time also so the Duck Bunker isn't as used as much for goose hunting right now but plenty of time during duck season. Dad wanted a place wear we had plenty of room when family and friends were around.

2005 - 2012. Pond is to the North
    The Duck Bunker is a 36' Long (east to west) 18' Wide (north to south) Concrete (6" Walls) that was poured back in spring of 2005. It had a little side addition for propane (300lb bottle) as that was the source of heat and cooking, we also ran few lights off deep cycle boat batteries. There is 2 depths in the pit, Shooting Deck height and “Common Area” for standing and cooking. The Shooting Deck can shoot 9 people very comfortably. The shooting lids originally had broomstraw lids and tried several things until we adopted curtain lids, we still use this same set up today. To west of the shooting lids was bathroom (compost toilet). In the SW corner portion of the pit was decoy storage of FBs, Shells, & Floaters. You entered the bit from the back (south side middle portion) and walked down into the common area. To the left was decoy storage and to the right kitchen and common area. Had full oven and counter for cooking meals

Article in outdoor life
    https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/...ques/2011/12/nebraska-duck-bunker-ultimate-d/

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  10. kberggren

kberggren Senior Refuge Member

More Pics of the setup during those Days.
    2003-2010 was when we saw the biggest change in our hunting from designing, developing, planting, and trying so many different things. Was so much fun and cherish all the good times spent with my dad (L.Berggren). During those years we pretty much spent sun up to sun down at the Bunker during late goose season and spring snows which we start hunting in 2006. Dad bought the property back in 1999 and the first 10 years we saw way more geese than we did ducks. The River is 150-200 yrds to the north and had several blinds on the river. 2007 Crane Trust bought a 2-3 mile section and turned it into a refuge and that's when our duck #s started to change. The pond in 2005 was about 2.5 acreas and grew a little bit but maybe to 3-3.5 acres by 2010.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2021