Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

show us your goose pit

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by salthunter, Feb 15, 2021.

1. kberggren

kberggren Senior Refuge Member

2010 - Now updates and Changes to the Duck Bunker

2010 we did dirt work to create South Pond and also make Nortb Pond bigger. Can flood between 11 acres when full, North pond is 5 acres full and south pond is 6 acres full. The North Pond is where 99% of our ducks are shot, it is deeper 6-20” deep and has 2.5 acres of corn and barnyard grass. The South Pond is strictly sheet water and only 1-5” deep, 90% of our geese are shot facing south. We let that freeze so we can run big sleeper shell spreads when hunting geese.

2012 ran electricity to the blind and also added TV and satellite dish. Ran electricity in the blind from fuse panel with extension cords.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My best blinds were coffin blinds I built to lay in on site to fit the ground. I'd spend a ton of time scrounging materials and cutting weeds that matched so I could blend in the thing good so that people driving by wouldn't notice. Turned out that all the extra work paid off I had Canada geese landing in my spread a lot. I'd have to run them off to shoot a pair as they filtered back in.
    If you do it right you can kill two a day easy..

3. kberggren

2013 - Complete Blind Remodel

Our roof was shot and so we decided time to update the Duck Bunker. We added treated lumber top and added a UV foam top. This should last longer than our kids lifetime. The Shooting lids did not change, they are in the same location and can still shoot 9 people but now you enter/exit the pit through the north side. Their are 2 areas located on the 3rd and 7th shooting location. You simply push a lid forward and walk up/down 2 steps. This makes it super fast and easy for guests to walk right to their shooting lid and put things in the blind fast while couple of us put out the decoys. We moved the double doors that were on the back (south side) to the NW corner, you open this up and walk into the decoy storage. The entire decoy Storage area now is same height as shooting deck, this makes it easier handing out decoys, below we use for other storage. The duck decoys (5-6 dz floaters & 8-10 dz FBs) are kept on the north portion, have 40-50 goose FBs, & 5-600 sleeper shells. The sleeper shells and goose FBs have a lid that you can slide open and set out decoys fast. The bathroom has its own room in the center of the blind and can be entered from the decoy area or common area and kitchen. The kitchen area has now been moved to the SE portion of the blind. With addition of electricity we electric stove, fridge, microwave, and Big screen tv for college football. We absolutely love this layout and spend a lot of time with family and friends at the Bunker. There are two dog boxes buried on the east side of the pit that have been there since it was first poured.

Since then we built 2 6man trailer blinds for chasing geese around in local fields. Since during this time in our life we (my brother and I) have the most free time to chase honkers and snows we sold off the 2 trailer blinds. I did help a friend build a 12man trailer blind for field hunting, we call it Rambo!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Dr Swane and salthunter like this.
  4. kberggren

Couple Favorite Pics with dad at the Blind. We spread most of his ashes in the pond next to the blind. The Duck Bunker was defiantly his and my favorite spot

Attached Files:

Huntges11, Dr Swane and jcneng like this.
  5. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Amazing what you can do if you own or long term lease the ground. I can't imagine how much treasure you've invested there, but it sure looks cool.

kberggren likes this.
  6. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

At least they wont miss out on morning cartoons!!

Nice Nice nice.

kberggren likes this.
  7. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

Great read Kevin. Your Dad was an incredible person. I talked to him frequently when I built my pit. Though on a smaller scale! He was an inspiration, always willing to share his knowledge.

kberggren likes this.
  8. Jay Mo 37

Jay Mo 37 Senior Refuge Member

9. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

10. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

Nice Jay Mo! Looks like a very good and clean job matching up your blind top to the surrounding terrain. Curious how the top works with the shooting holes.