Shrooms

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by ARHHH4, Apr 7, 2021.

1. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Elite Refuge Member

Anybody finding any yet? I’m in the south central part along I 70. I heard a guy say on Sunday that a cousin of his from a town about five miles away was starting to find some blacks. Buddy at work told me they were finding some in his hometown, about an hour or so south of me.

2. calhounhunter

calhounhunter New Member

My grandson found one on Monday. We are in south Calhoun county. F5ECF1B8-42B2-44F7-B208-D5B38C293C4E.jpeg

DEADEYE, ARHHH4 and JRS like this.
  3. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I've gotten on the fringe of shroom hunting.
    The characters I run into are worse trespassers than I ever was and brothers I confess...I trespassed a lot to kill ducks n geese back before cell phones.
    Does everyone ignore boundaries in mushroom territory or what?

4. yankeegray

yankeegray Senior Refuge Member

Easier to find a hidden duck hole than a secret mushroom patch down her amigo I promise .

ARHHH4 likes this.
  5. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I studied some but not much.
    Isn't there some geography involved where you search for areas that have the right terrain ?
    I forget it's been ages.
    North facing slopes?
    Something like that.
    I was invited to go in Calhoun County.
    So far no plan.

When right Kickapoo is full of mushroom hunters

6. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Elite Refuge Member

They do where I am. My parents have a little over an acre of woods behind their house. Not a gold mine by any means, but can normally find a couple hundred or so per year, about the size of the one that this young man in the above pictures has. I was out a couple years ago during a light rain, and I kept hearing something rustling around in the woods, within maybe thirty yards or so of me. I leaned up against a tree thinking a deer or something was gonna come walking by. Ended up being a dude that looked like he was straight outta the Moonshiners show. Had a Camo rain coat on and black sweat pants. He was lookin under the next briar patch over. I called my parents real quick to see if they’d given permission to anyone else to hunt out there, and when I looked back up he was gone. I found him walkin down the road behind the house and told him to stay out, that he was t welcome on that property. He yelled back, “whose is it?” I hollered back, “MINE!!” The very next week, him and his dad sent in pictures to the local newspaper about all the morels that they had found that season.

BJH likes this.
  7. auto5

auto5 Elite Refuge Member

I expect to be in a small patch this weekend not far from me. Was picking them 4/11 last year, this years warmer temp is much identical.

ARHHH4 likes this.
  8. BJH

BJH Senior Refuge Member

I always carry a side arm when looking for 'shrooms. Well, it is hunting, right! When you lean up against a tree 'n let them walk into you it puts a special fear into them! Well most! Then tell them, it's turkey season 'n if they walk into a setup they may get shot. Most don't come back! But you have those real dirt bags, 'n mushroom season brings 'em all out, say they have permission from the farm up the road, but they never even come up with a name! Those are the ones you just plain tell 'em you'll shoot their *** if they come back! Usually never see 'em again! The side arm convinces them! But the renown mushroom hunters in the area know no property lines or tresspass laws. I had a local dirt bag mushroom legend working for me once, at my place of employment, not personally, just couldn't comprehend why folks were having him arrested! Well, he never owned anything other than the clothes on his back, dope 'n booze! Never stopped him! I saw him walking a country road today! 'O 'n the ones l really like are the ones that'll argue with you on who owns the ground!

ARHHH4 likes this.
  9. rism

rism Elite Refuge Member

West Central Il. We got the rain 4" over Fri. & Sat. Now we need some temps for the shrooms. Never had much luck when it got in the 40s at night and only up to 60 in the day. You guys in S. Il. keep us informed please.

ARHHH4 likes this.
  10. auto5

auto5 Elite Refuge Member

Found 4 in South Fulton County last Friday. Left em to grow ...

ARHHH4 likes this.