Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Side by Side UTV Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Cliner, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Green Duck Truck

Green Duck Truck Washington State Moderator Moderator

You beat me to it! Here's mine: :tu
    25E096F3-4394-47DD-873D-39E27793A7DC_1_201_a.jpeg

2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I got a 2018 Polaris ranger XP 900, couple small things that had to fix. If I was buying another one, I would go with the Honda.

3. mallardchaser

mallardchaser Senior Refuge Member

I have a 19 mule pro fxt 6 seater. It drives way better than the gator or the Polaris (smooth.) The folding seat to increase bed size is nice too. One of my buddies has an 8+ year old gator that’s still serving him well. He’s put it threw it all. He’s about to get another.

4. Michael Keating

Michael Keating Refuge Member

No joke we had rented a mule from Sunbelt out in Virginia and that thing was like a glorified golf cart. Sat 6 but solid axle and leaf springs on it. Rode like absolute hell when we were in it. However it went through a lot of **** and kept going. Don't get me wrong the top speed of our was about 8mph and compared to the Gators and rzrs we had out there it was the worse one hands down but that thing kept going and get through a lot of **** out there. We nicknamed it bubbles.

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Solid axles and leaf springs are rugged and reliable, albeit not as smooth as independent suspension.

My brother and his buddies are really big into "buggy" riding and it's quite amazing how often they tear stuff up.

6. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Elite Refuge Member

I own a Yamaha Rhino and I recommend it highly.

I did a lot of research before I bought and weighed the pros and cons of most of the UTV's.

I immediately eliminated all the Chinese made UTV's . Consensus seemed to be not very durable compared to most of the others.

I then eliminated the John Deere UTV's. They had a spotty reputation. Some liked them, but they seemed to work well as a work vehicle, but prone to problems when used as a sporting vehicle(i.e. recreational 4-wheeling).

I was told the Polaris UTV's were expensive to maintain and there were not any service locations in my area.

I liked the Hondas, but they were expensive and there were not many to be had on the used market.

I finally got it down to Yamaha and Kawasaki. The Kawasaki was more of a work vehicle and the Yamaha was more recreational. I wanted to get a 4 seater Mule, but was unable to find one I could afford that was not run to pieces. I decided against the Razor as it seemed to be more of a extreme off-road performance machine. I found a Yamaha Rhino two seater at a good price and bought it about 5 years ago and I have no complaints. Other than maintenance and brakes, it has only needed a cooling fan since I bought it and that was because I buried it in mud so deep it jammed up the fan.I did get it in water so deep that it caused the belt to slip once, but all I had to do was remove the drain plug, drain the water and give it about 30 minutes to dry out and it has never missed a lick since.

I recommend it highly.

7. Cliner

Cliner Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the replies. Amazing how many people don't like Polaris, it was high on my list to check out. Now yall have me looking elsewhere.

Anybody know anything about the Can-Am?

8. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Senior Refuge Member

Buddy has a Can-Am Commander and loves it. Definitely leans more to the sporty side, but it does have some nice features like a tilt bed. It’s a belt driven machine, which most are, but his has held up well. They are spendy, your definitely paying for the name.

9. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

Guys near our camp are RABID UTV'rs. Polaris Razors and one Can Am. The guy with the Can Am had drive train issues including belt slipping regularly. He totaled his UTV last summer and bought a new high end Can Am in late summer. They went on five major rides during the fall and each trip, he had belt problems. His buddy, with a Razor, pulled him to an area where they could get his Can Am on a trailor to haul back to camp and burned up his belt doing it. 5 times!
    However, they do abuse the shiite out of their equipment!!! And it is highly likely that therein lies their problem!

10. CUPTDUCK

CUPTDUCK Senior Refuge Member

Currently have a 2016 Pioneer 1000 with about 3000 miles. Had a 2010 Polaris 800 before that. Both have been in lots of deep water and mud. I have no complaints about either. The Polaris 800 had more low end power.