Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Side by Side UTV Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Cliner, Apr 13, 2020.

1. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Dang, that's pretty cheap compared to any I've seen. Actually fairly reasonable.

I feel like you can usually tell fairly well how one's been treated by looking around at the guy's other stuff; if he trashes his truck, boat, etc he probably trashed it too.

2. Chattahooche Hunter

Chattahooche Hunter New Member

We have hunted the Mississippi Delta for the last 16 years and have to deal with that mud. One hunting partner has a Kubota. Worked great on his farm in Georgia. Too heavy and didn't have much wheel well clearance and got stuck multiple time in "dough stage" mud. Took it back to the farm and bought a Ranger. It did great for him last year. Another partner has the Honda. It has done great but the 2 rear seats aren't functional if you have to use the back for storage like layout blinds. Another partner has the ranger and it has been a good unit for him. Hope this helps

3. Timmy

Timmy Refuge Member

Can Am for me! I have a 2018 Defender Max HD10 1000 cc crew cab. Top Speed around 70. It’s a utility model with a dump bed but, haven’t had any issues with it at all. We ride a lot, while I don’t ramp and Rip or mud bogg like the other guys do, I will raunch on it. It has been in water over the floors and mud a good bit. Like anything else I pressure wash it when I get home and take care of it. There are usually 20-30 people riding and most have Can Am or Honda. Polaris has a lot of parts that wear out fast from what i’m told. A friend of mine has a mechanic shop and works on Motorcycles,SXS, and 4,wheelers. Most of what he works on is Polaris. His SXS is Can am, 4 wheeler is Honda!

4. hunting1

hunting1 Elite Refuge Member

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Didn't realize anyone still make such rigs. Had an old 6 wheeler for a while growing up; was slow as all get out but it would go some places.

6. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

We have lots of Polaris dealers because of their snow-machines. Nearly everyone has a beef with their ATV's
    We own a Honda 10,000 miles, just general maintenance. Got rid or our Polaris , 4,500 miles and $1,200 in repairs. My FIL 3 Polaris machines All under 5,000,.. Each has issues

JP likes this.
  7. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

I've had a 09 Ranger 500 and now running a 16 Ranger 570 XP both just standard size and have been very pleased with their performance on the farm and using it to hunt. During hunting season, I put larger more aggressive tires on it and a bed extension that extends the bed about 2 ft.

Both units I've abused whether its jumping over 4 to 6" terraces in snow or having water up to the front bumper while driving through flooded fields. The 09 I did burn up the belt and some clutch items while running in high in deep snow but haven't had any problems with the 16. On the farm, we use the Ranger to pick up rocks which we will completely fill up the dump box.

When another SxS is purchased, it will be a Ranger or I might look at the Can Am's as well

8. MOOSEMAN

MOOSEMAN New Member

I have a Kubota RTX 900. It’s diesel, very well built. I am very happy with it. Not fast but very rugged.

hunting1 likes this.
  9. Gene

Gene Senior Refuge Member

We have the Polaris Ranger that is fantastic. It's usually in 2wheedee but when in 4wheedee it will climb a telephone pole. Muck and water isn't a problem. On my drive I can get it up to 70mph and it scares the peewaddle out of us. We mostly use it as a ranch vehicle. Before we got it the Ranger was used to get around the sand dunes of Glamis and a toad at a scrap metal yard. Our son gave it to us with the trailer.

Attached Files:

10. Backwards bleed

Backwards bleed Senior Refuge Member

I have a pioneer 700. It's been a good machine so far. I only have 3000 on it. One thing I do know about the 700 is that you need to make sure that you keep the air filter foam jacket cleaned and oiled. One of my neighbors burned his up because he doesn't maintain things well. His air filter was caked with 1/4 inch solid dust from no maintenance when his machine died.
    They have the same motor as the honda rincon. The rincon is a bomb proof unit. I put 10k on one of them and it still ran perfect when I sold it. Imo the rincon motor is awesome, but I feel like it might be a little under powered for a sxs.
    If I was going to do it all over again I would probably buy a 1000 for the extra power and speed down the road.

sbezoey likes this.