Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Side by Side UTV Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Cliner, Apr 13, 2020.

1. DuckMan62

DuckMan62 Refuge Member

A good friend of mine has the Can-Am 900 granted it is only a 2 seater but has plenty of power. Does good in mud and hilly conditions too. He wants the turbo 1000 version but the price tags is close to $30k which is crazy imo.

2. Timmy

Timmy Refuge Member

I took mine in today for service/ valve adjustment and seen the new 1000cc Mavericks, crazy 195 hp. My defender is 80hp and has a plenty of power for what I do. But I guess to each their own.

Attached Files:

3. Connor W

Connor W New Member

I’ve got the new kubota sidekick 850, and let me tell you it’s a really nice machine. My buddy owns the dealership and told me he wanted me to buy it since he knows I’d push it to see how well it’d work for a hunter/trapper. And man I’m impressed. Get rid of the junk stock tires and you’re good to go.

4. Meach

Meach Elite Refuge Member

Thinking about getting small UTV mainly for use around the house and mild off-roading. Wondering how good AWD does for say a muddy road that's not too bad. No deep ruts,etc.

5. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Honestly can probably go down it in 2WD

Meach likes this.
  6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I know very little about UTV's...

But the guy that fixes my quad works on quads, bikes, and UTV's and has been very good to me, and a very reliable mechanic. Only machine he will not work on is Polaris... He says the same models will use different parts, and that they are very difficult to work on (both quads and UTV's).

He and his workers all recommend Honda for ATV's and other sports vehicles... But have also said that most of the Japanese sports vehicles are good... Just less work for them on the Honda's...

tcc likes this.
  7. LADucks

LADucks Senior Refuge Member

I wanted the capability of a 4 seater without the extra long wheel base. That pushed me to looking at the Honda Pioneer 700-4 seaters. However, once I began looking, the wheel base was the smallest reason I ended up choosing one. I love the fact it is not belt driven. I'm not having to wind up to a billion RPMs to get going and stay that way like some of your high/low belt drives. Also, I purchased a deluxe version and that's the best choice I made out of the whole thing. It has the option to change from automatic to a paddle shift. That means I can put it in a real deal 1st gear just like a fourwheeler and putt putt along, quiet with plenty of torque. You just can't do that in a belt drive. Even in automatic mode it switches between the 3 gears like a car, not just a "high" or "low" gear. I think the 1000s come with those features regardless though. If I was super rich and had to do it again I'd probably buy the 1000 but I don't know what I'd use it for. We've piled 5 people plus a dog and gear through rice fields countless times, and it just goes. The option for manual/auto is key there. No other side by side like it. I can't recommend one more based on my personal experiences. I've also sold multiple other buddies who have bought one now as well.

BigSkyDuk likes this.
  8. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I would get the Honda. I have heard nothing but good about them. Plus, it’s a Honda. They will run forever.

tcc and ripline like this.
  9. Pkraft

Pkraft Senior Refuge Member

Rangers are what you see around here 99% of the time. I have a 2013 ranger 500 and only issue I've had is fuel pump, but I'm not hard on it.
    I'm in the market to get a bigger one to fit 3 people and looking at used from local dealer. They have a 2016 Pioneer 1000 that I'm looking at but have read a lot of bad stuff about the transmission in some of the pioneers and the price to repair was crazy. Also heard the heat was terrible in them due to motor right under seat. Still interested though. It's either that or a ranger 900.

10. LADucks

LADucks Senior Refuge Member

I don't ride a terrible amount in the summer so I haven't experienced that. However, a local dealer was offering free upgrades to anyone that shared and liked their page. All they did was trim a piece of heat shield that fit perfectly underneath the seat and it latched back on. Problem solved and super cheap. It's apparently only even noticed on the 1000s.