Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Side by Side UTV Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Cliner, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

They will pull more than they will stop.

I have used my Gator 825 to put a 10k haywagon into the barn. I think I can put 1500 or 2k in the bed of it.

2. Zane

Zane Senior Refuge Member

I pull my Salem 8x20RD Ice Cabin around with a Polaris sportsmen 550 ATV during Ice fishing. I do have to have a dolly though. Loaded it probably weighs about 5000lbs.

3. HJP12

HJP12 Refuge Member

We got a Honda Pioneer 1000 last year and absolutely love it. We took it thru some some stuff that we thought was iffy and it never skipped a beat, can't imagine what you need to take it thru to get it stuck. Rides really smooth and we really like the half doors on it. Also took it down to AR when we hunted the rice fields and didn't have any issues in that either. Water was at or over the floor board and it did just fine.

I've heard people who worry about the Polaris because of the belt slipping, but a guy we went with uses one in AR and said as long as you get the belt guard it will have no problem going thru muck and shallow water. I don't have experience with it but their 6 seater had no issues in the rice.

4. Drake Decimator

Drake Decimator Senior Refuge Member

I have put my Mule Pro FXT through a lot of unintentional punishment over the last two years due to high water and has performed flawlessly for 5 years. Water in the floor boards each trip, hitting stumps in flooded ruts load with equipment, hunters, dogs and doesn't miss a beat. Rides very smooth with factory suspension, but I've put aftermarket front bumper/winch & roof on, so I'll probably pick up the HD springs. I initially got it for the convertible back seat which when folded up provides a lot of room in the bed, way more than the Pioneer. Add it to your short list of UTVs to test drive, thing is a beast. I would get another one definitely.

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Did you end up getting something? Can Am makes decent stuff, in my limited experience. Their SxSs are supposed to be beasts. But I really don’t know about continual use of any belt driven system in a water environment. Our pits have always only had about 8-10” of water, and the drive stays above it for the most part (not submerged). Expect to pay for a Can-Am. Last I checked, they were pricey but came will lots of gadgetry.

6. sgt duck

sgt duck Senior Refuge Member

Cliner, I had a 2010 Polaris 500, just sold it had bought a 2020 Ranger 1000. Like alot of guys on here U.T.V's are like pick-ups. Lots of makes and models and if what you have meets your needs and you have good luck with it I say good for you. We can't all like the same thing. My 2010 was a basic unit just a hard top, windshield and back glass and a winch. Nothing fancy, you know where our duck club is and thats where I used it the most. I did not abuse it but I used it alot in the fall during hunting season. I drove it in really muddy conditions in the Grand River bottoms and a few times in water a couple feet deep. Had yearly maintance done by the Polaris dealer in Brookfield. Never had to change the belt, just oil changes, a u-joint and a fuel pump in 10 years. I up graded my new Ranger to full cab and heater, they cost a lot more now but as you get older being out of the rain and having heat for the ride into duck camp will be a big plus for me. Hope you get the unit you want. Just my 2 cents. Thanks Tim (sgt duck)

7. Gene

Gene Senior Refuge Member

I never said I didn't like it but parts are way over priced. In Merced they wanted $85.00 for a new light bulb????? It is cheaper to just get a Harbor Freight light bar and wire it in and mount it!!

Attached Files: