Silencer Anyone?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Tailfeathers, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

OneShotBandit likes this.
  2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

American Rifleman latest issue has a good write-up on a silencer company. What makes them special is they will do 90% of the paperwork for you, check on the status of the approval, and notify you when it is ready. Plus, per AR, they make good silencers.

Actually, I guess I should be saying, 'suppressors'.

Dr Swane and OneShotBandit like this.
  3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I can't imaging trying to shoot with that huge thing on the end of the barrel. How bad would it throw off the balance of the gun. That being said, I would love a suppressor for my .410. It's already so much quieter than a 12 gauge that it throws off boom scouters and last season was the first season for over 20 years that I haven't had a single person successfully boom scout a hot spot I was hunting. I'm really surprised more hunters more hunters haven't bought them. They have been around a long time.

4. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member

I enjoy the sound of my gun echoing off a thousand trees focused by a sheet of water.
    May as well put a suppressor on the duck call too.

5. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Senior Refuge Member

I would consider one on my 20ga.

There are some spots we hunt that have a few houses close by. One of those neighbors can be a bit grumpy. That would help the relations some.

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  6. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

They are suppressors. They don't silence anything.
    I went to a demo day for the things a couple years ago. The shotgun one made the shotgun almost unuseable with that weight on the end. They set up a bunch of targets in a row. I asked the guy running that demo if I could shoot three targets, swinging the gun kind of like wing shooting. For a second, I thought i was the fulcrum of a pendulum......

7. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

The ones in the American Rifleman article are made of Titanium, I don’t think weight would be a real issue. I want a .22 Suppressor to put on a rifle or pistol! :yes

8. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

LOL....I’ve got a Hastings Metro extension that will do as well, that I’ll sell.

Dr Swane likes this.
  9. NDGoose

NDGoose New Member

Not sure i could be convinced to run one on a shotgun while hunting, but it would be a fun toy for the range. On my rifles I won't shoot without a suppressor any more though, both rimfires and the biguns. It's so much more pleasant both from a recoil perspective and noise for yourself and the folks around you.

Vahunter likes this.
  10. oskar

oskar Senior Refuge Member

Tom Austin was/is running one on his predator hunting shotgun.