Silent Spring

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Ramblingman, May 23, 2020.

1. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

....and I'm not talking about the book. Where are the turkeys!?

I have put in a lot of miles and boots on the ground....dusk, dawn, doesn't matter....no birds. No gobbling. Private. Public. Traditional turkey hot spots.....nary a hen. Been tough. We have 1 more tag and it's getting down to crunch time.

No hunters...so that's a plus.

2. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

I listened to one gobble at everything the other day while sitting on my back porch. However there are very few turkeys on the landscape here.

Ramblingman likes this.
  3. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Elite Refuge Member

welcome to a resource over exploited by our greedy goverment did not manage them for the birds sake only for the dollar and then add everything else with it and here we are today NO TURKEYS!!!!!!!!!

marshmob and Ramblingman like this.
  4. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

All the wet springs havent helped either. But we are at a 15 yr low. Fall season needs to end for a few years. No more hen shooting.

5. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

Don't upset Gerald Lauber!!

Have not seen a jake, which tells me how bad the hatches have been lately.

Ramblingman likes this.
  6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Hate that for y’all, fellas.

Ramblingman likes this.
  7. Ramblingman

2 days in the field (Friday and Saturday) and I heard 2 Toms and they were together and offered just a couple midday gobbles (yesterday). They were out in the open rangeland up in the woody ravines. I never saw them.

I did get some excitement when I kneeled down next to a cedar and heard a loud buzz and hiss. Looked to my left to see a large bull snake 2 feet away coiled up showing his rattler tail imitation, head back and in attack position.

I've got em coiled up many times before when I knew they were there, but that's the first time I've agitated one that I had no clue was there. Gets your attention!

8. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Been 2 years since I have seen a jake. Havent had one on trail camera either.

On cue here comes the heavy rain and flooding to ensure we get no recruitment this year as well.

9. Ramblingman

Yes, unfortunately we're waterlogged here and more rain coming. Walked through a lot of sheet water in fields and pastures the last couple days.

No jakes guarantees ZERO 2 year old toms next year which guarantees hens not getting bred in future.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  10. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

I would think we will be in the 1 bird for spring season for another 2 years. Can’t imagine going to 2 next year. No poults seen.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.