Decoy Forum Sponsors

Silo recommendations needed...

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by freefall, Jan 25, 2021.

1. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I’m interested in investing in some Spec, Mallard, Pintail & Honker silos. I’d like to know who you think makes the best of those species. I’ve never owned or used a Silo in my life so I honestly have no clue who’s who in the silo world.

I appreciate the help.

2. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I like Big Als.,quality product at a fair price, great selection, even greater service. Made in USA.

2WIDGN, SPOONKILR, ARHHH4 and 6 others like this.
  3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I've seen both Big Al's and Divebomb ducks. IMO the color is much better on the Bg Al's. Divebomb mallard drakes have a faded look, The green on the drake wigeons heads is hideous. The pintails are near equal with the edge on color going to Big Al's but the Divebomb upright drake has a better pose. No opinion on the geese as I haven't seen both but I would buy Big Al's for reasons mpkowal mentioned.

IMO there are are no other silo's worth talking about as they're all over priced, have terrible colors, terrible stake systems, are heavy, bulky or all or any combination of the above.

2WIDGN, wyfarrell and freefall like this.
  4. Click

Click Senior Refuge Member

Used divebomb, real geese and big al's.

Real geese probably win overall durability and realism, but they are heavy, and pricey.

Divebomb steaks suck, flimsy an bend and the decoys slide off them. There flocked geese do look good but I really question the longevity of them. There mallards do not stand out in a field and I do not care for the paint job on them at all.

Big al's have superior product for the price point and that's where I've spent my money last few years. Killed a nice pile of ducks an geese in a corn field today with them actually.

5. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Only silos I have right now are Divebomb honkers. Won a dozen, then bought 4 dozen more. They look excellent. Agree they will slide a bit on the stakes. The stakes themselves are spring steel, seem durable, and tap into hard/frozen ground just fine with a rubber mallet.

Couple pictures showing them. Maybe not the best, but it's what I have.

2020 12-21 006.jpg 015.jpg

ARHHH4 and freefall like this.
  6. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I like that the decoys slide on the Divebombs. That way when you’re beating them into hard ground you aren’t walking directly onto the decoy. I found big Als harder to get into frozen ground.

I think the color difference is for the hunter and not the birds. They both work equally as well. Divebomb bag system is far superior but big Als you get 14 and they are larger.

Now if you’re smarter than me and don’t follow social media then the next part is moot. In the last 3 years the people divebomb have associated with and how the company acts is a total turn off to me. I have so many personal messages from divebomb guys yelling at me for dumb stuff it’s crazy. I also don’t like how they act they invented silos and you can’t kill birds unless it’s with divebomb. Since the decoys are so close in terms of performance I’ll be buying big Als from now on.

brentbullets, 2WIDGN, ARHHH4 and 6 others like this.
  7. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes Elite Refuge Member

theyre called douc*ebag decoys for a reason. It’s a cult.

freefall, Billy Bob and EWUEagles like this.
  8. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I would like to edit my statement because I just went to big Als website. They now offer spring steel stakes. Another reason to buy them is they offer two stake choices for the same price. I think I prefer spring steel because I beat my decoys in the ground quite a bit. Damn it now I think I’m order more decoys haha.

9. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

If I have two comparable products at a very similar price with one product being made in China and the other product made in the USA, I am going to buy the product made in the USA. Seems like a no brainer to me. I am very happy with the Big Al's I own.

10. Big AL1

Big AL1 Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

IMG950384.jpg
    Thiese are the new Ken White Super Speck silo's along with a lesser in the background...