Decoy Forum Sponsors

Silos Down South

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by FriedPotatoes, Sep 12, 2019.

1. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes New Member

Interested in buying greater canada goose silos. I know they're all the rage up north, but for more southern hunters, do you still find them effective, or are birds too educated by the time they get in their winter areas? Thinking of selling my full bodies and getting silos but don't want to shoot myself in the foot. Thoughts?

2. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

Where are you at? I may be willing to bring a spread down to see how it works

3. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes New Member

I'm in Oklahoma. Maybe not south to some but certainly is south to others

4. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

I went to silos last year but haven’t sold my fb’s or trailer yet. Still not 100% convinced they are as effective. I love the speed of setting up and pulling the spread and I don’t need to haul a trailer all over the place. I can fit an A frame,200 silos, & chairs in a standard bed. I’m running mostly big al greaters and some big al blacks & whites. Great decoy and doesn’t break the bank.

goosenazi likes this.
  5. goosenazi

They work there. Been there, done that.

Vammy and FriedPotatoes like this.
  6. goosenazi

Good call on the Big Als. Made in the USA and the best stakes on a coro decoy!

7. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes New Member

Why aren't you convinced? Did you have birds flaring?

8. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Last year was tough for everything in Kansas, atleast by me so it’s hard to say BUT more than once we had birds locked up and gliding in and they slid off at 80yds. The hide was great, nobody moving, and no reason I can figure why they did it. The worst was all in one day and we had 5 bigger groups (40 plus birds per group) do this. The sun was setting to the west and these birds were coming in north to south. These were lightly pressured birds in mid season and fairly fresh to the area and already using the field. These decs do glare a little but honestly no more than my painted avians or painted Dakotas do.

I will say an entire large, 300 dec, B&W spread is tempting. We ended up mixing our b&w’s in around our hide or kill holes because when set up wind 30-40yds the birds consistently slid behind us and lit in the b&w’s.

We were setting the decs far apart, probably 6-10’ and in all directions. Since then I’ve read a lot where guys say set em closer, maybe 3-6’ apart.

Might have to make an Oklahoma trip this year and we can experiment.

9. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I have tried many times using silo only spreads with zero success.I am in Southern Nevada but also tried 13 dozen new Outlaws in Canada,zero_Obviously you could say I dont know the intricacies of setting silos,but we set them close together, far apart angled,in a U,in a J,no pattern.Ducks like em.
    I do like to use them mixed with fullbodies when we need numbers.

10. cs

cs Elite Refuge Member

Sure they work in oklahoma. Everywhere birds get stale and harder to hunt sometimes. More often than decoys calling and the hide are hunters biggest downfall.

Vammy likes this.