Silos for Specks??

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Greenhead Rocker, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Greenhead Rocker

Greenhead Rocker Elite Refuge Member

starting to see some specks in our area. Not a ton but numbers are climbing. I want to pick up a few speck decoys just in case we see some every now and then. Don’t want to invest in a full body spread just yet. I was thinking on a few floaters and maybe a couple dozen silos. Does anyone hunt specks over just silos and are they effective?

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Can't speak for your part of their flyway but know no one who's tried silhouettes for specks down on our end who still fools with them.

Better to stick with a even a few FBs - or your Canada decoys - and work on your calling.

3. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

If you look up Stanfield Outfitters out of Texas you'll see them finishing specks over silos. I'm sure a lot has to do with how pressured they are but it seems like some places can get them to finish no problem.

4. Greenhead Rocker

Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses. I’m new to this game. We do ok with Canada silos here, with what few canadas we still get. Just wondered if specks would respond to speck silos. Thanks again.

5. Greenhead Rocker

Rick, what type and brand are most popular down there?? Do floaters work pretty good or is most of the speck hunting done on dry ground? I’d assume rice.

6. Greenhead Rocker

Yes I’ve seen some of their stuff. Looks like a blast. I hope to be able to do a little traveling some day and TX is def on the short list.

7. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I’ve killed them just fine over silos, and even just Canada decoys. What I found to make them work better is just a touch of white in the spread. I added 2 doz snow shells to the spread and the effect was amazing for specks.

Greenhead Rocker likes this.
  8. Rick Hall

Most FBs are pretty good now, and I believe you're ahead to use those (over floaters) on extensions, if need be, to make it look like a feeding, as well as resting, opportunity.

9. Rick Hall

That or a similar number of snows is a giant, flashing "HUNTERS HERE!!!" sign in our area, as every doyo and his three cousins goes that route hoping to scratch a few light geese. Some add a couple or three light decoys for color, and others do well with the help of several dozen light ones. But a dozen or three is more apt to hurt than help in areas where the birds are only seeing that in places with guns.

10. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Watch the flocks in your specific area and match what the real birds are doing; don’t do what the neighbors are doing.

Set the decoys farther apart than you think they should be, then move them 3-5 feet farther apart.

J.Bennett likes this.