single shot 10ga

huntnut

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Anyone shooting a 10ga single shot or 12ga 3 1/2 thought about going to a single 10 and using hevishot that way I have to make sure the first shot counts and it would be alot cheaper then loading 3 into my auto because my finger has a mind of its own lol.

Chevy454

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've always thought that the NEF and similar 10 Ga. and 12 Ga, 3 1/2" Single shots are really cool.

With a little practice, you could get two good shots off into a flock of geese.

Plus, they're heavy enough that they won't knock you into the middle of next week.

Plus plus...you , your kids, and your grand kids, would never wear it out.

Plus plus plus...if you ever decided you didn't want it, it would be easy to sell and regain alot of the purchase price (always easier with lower ticket items).

DO IT!!!:tu \

Happy single barrel blasting!

Chevy

chcltlabz

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not kick?!?!?!?

HA!, you've obviously never shot one! They kick a little harder than a mule on steroids. Plus, no vent rib + short light gun = very hard to hit something. They aren't made to swing either, they're turkey guns, so it won't be very smooth.

Also, they're set up as turkey chokes, so you would have to check barrel constriction to see if you could even pattern it. Even hevishot may not make it through the tube well.

I wouldn't shoot it at geese, but I wish everyone around me would;)

huntnut

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
The NEF/H&R weigh 9#'s thats more then bps 12 3 1/2 and a pound or so less then the 10 bps so they arnt going to kick to bad, I'm a bigg guy at 270 I've sgot 10ga bps for a couple years and I shoot a 300 winmag so recoil all dippends how big you are. As far as the choke they use a screw in choke infact the same as browning 10ga. and for them not swinging good there 24" barrel they should swing nice I've shoot 835 with 24" barrel and like the short barrels, but you have one good point that is no vent rib but as long as there is a front bead thats all you need for shooting I mean it's not a rifle so you point it not aim it.

Chevy454

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yeah...they're good and heavy.

I wouldn't buy one for a 6 year old girl, but I think that all but the most recoil sensitive people could shoot one.

You have to pull 'em in until they touch your shoulder:yes ;)

I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but, if you watch the classified ads, sometimes the BPS-10's sell for as low as $300.

Also, they have different models. Most of the NEF single barrels I've seen have a 28" or so MODIFIED barrel. Obviously, those are set up for waterfowl. They market turkey models that are choked tighter or offer the screw-in chokes.

Chevy

chcltlabz

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Like I said, you've obviously never shot one, or you wouldn't be making statements that include "I think".

They're not heavy. They seem heavy because they're small, but they kick, and hard.

Even barrels with screw in chokes, which most NEFs have now, have some constriction to the barrel itself. A choke alone doesn't do all the constricting of the shot.

Chevy454

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hey, that's pretty cool...NEF is now tapering the ID of their barrels.

Hopefully, they'll share their method of making this cost effective in entry level guns with the three "B" companies.

I have shot one...once. I was a young kid. It had a significant push, but not a sharp kick like a light 12 Ga pump.

If I had been given the opportunity, I would have shot it more.

Hey, why don't we channel our energies toward something more beneficial. I'll work on world peace;) !

Peace out

Creek Henry

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The most painful gun I ever shot was a 12 ga. single that was very light. With 1 1/4 oz loads, it ripped your head back so hard you lost sight of your target. A Mossy 835 with 2 1/4 oz turkey loads was more pleasant to shoot (though no less harsh).

So, get a heavy gun if you are going 10 ga. But, I'll say this, now that I've used a few single 12 and 20's, they do make teach you to make your one shot count!

Niklas

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Back in the late 1970s I watched a gun using a single barrel 10 gauge in the Texas Gulf coast marsh, pass shooting at geese . He started out the morning with a few shots - then none for a while - then one now and then. Never saw and geese fall. Then I happened to be looking his way when he shot - there was a splash, some short and loudly spoken words (mostly having 4 letters each) and the guy splashed out of the marsh.

Someone else can shoot those guns.

Niklas

Chevy454

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm sitting across the room from a guy who took a BPS-10 on a week long hunt down at the mouth of the Mississippi River.

His A-5 broke down...yes, that's right...and by the third day using his BPS-10, he couldn't open his mouth wide enough to take a bite of cheese toast.

If you read that thread about the "kickingest" guns, you'll agree that, because of the fit, most guns can kick the crud out of someone.

Beside that...as some refuge member's signature reads..."Real men love recoil." :l