North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Sink Box Guides

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by ReelHunter, Jul 28, 2020.

1. hydemarsh

hydemarsh Senior Refuge Member

That is not my experience, I did not talk to anybody, people's perception of "great" varies greatly. I have sat in the curtain blinds.
    I am just going to stay on the other side and hunt 500 yards off the shore in Pamlico County. Hope I have enough room in the boat for all the ducks.

2. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

The boxes I have hunted I am not sure bait would sit in those tides. There are other species out there but you have to be able to identify ducks. You are on your own so you have to call, move decoys, improve your hide whatever it takes to get the birds to work. We have always killed more than just our pintails and redheads on every sink box hunt I have been on but we don’t just get in and hope they fly close we work them.

3. coachcornbread

coachcornbread Elite Refuge Member

Ive had banger hunts on the obx where we killed 7-8 different species, and Ive had hunts where Ive never pulled the trigger. Like someone above said, its all weather dependent. I've hunted with Earl before on Ocracoke and had good hunts, got a hunt in January with TNA guide service on Hatteras. Dont know if either of them have any openings left or not.

ReelHunter and creedsduckman like this.
  4. ReelHunter

ReelHunter Refuge Member

Yea I booked with tna on dec 28.

coachcornbread likes this.
  5. coachcornbread

coachcornbread Elite Refuge Member

We will be there a couple of weeks after that.

6. CapnJim

CapnJim Refuge Member

Been going to Currituck for at least the last thirty years hunting out of Grandy with PWB( most time twice a season).
    We've had some historic hunts that you never forget, some hunts you want to forget, and many in between.
    We've had ice snap the 4x4s like tooth picks and we still hunted..................until we couldn't.
    PW has even called us and told us not to come, no birds but we go anyway just to see and support him.
    I've hunted up and down our flyway and both sides of the Mississippi and no one can match what he does for you in the blind in my opinion.
    Have always been curious about the curtain blinds. Thanks for the info.

7. CapnJim

CapnJim Refuge Member

Just looked at my book............34 years.

8. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like Currituck hunting to me. I live a stone's through across the line but do 99% of my hunting in Currituck. I've had some amazing hunts. It's a special place to me because of all the history here. I've been to Canada a bunch and have hunts where I saw more ducks in a morning than I'll see in Currituck all season but I wouldn't trade them for any of the great hunts I've had here. I love this place. The boats, marsh, dogs... everything.

9. CapnJim

CapnJim Refuge Member

Know what you mean. My Dad's generation used to hunt out of William's Lodge on Knott's Island.
    Many stories not just about hunting, but about the way the people went about their daily lives.
    Like the Wildlife Center by the Currituck Light. Lots of history.
    We try to take it all in a little bit at a time each trip.

dog duck gun and creedsduckman like this.
  10. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Yep I know the William's. I hunt around knotts island.